...and watch out if you're driving in America...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Flipping heck!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:
I've seen a lot of these type of accident on the TV and net. They are usually race cars with carbon fibre crash proof cockpits not a road car with 3 point seat belt. To be concious and alert after that he was lucky.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Flipping heck!!!!!!!!  :ohmy: :ohmy:
I've seen a lot of these type of accident on the TV and net.  They are usually race cars with carbon fibre crash proof cockpits not a road car with 3 point seat belt.  To be concious and alert after that he was lucky.
Judging from the way he was driving, I think it would be pretty hard to distinguish between his 'conscious and alert' and most people's 'brain-dead'. :eek:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Worryingly my son and his friends who spend a bit of time playing computer race games, all seem to think that a crash like that is routinely survivable and the car will even continue driving.

ACW

On a 8 day holiday to the us we saw the results of 2 accidents both single cars just ran off the road into pole, barrier, both with police and ambulance in attendance so they just happened. Cant remember the last time i saw an ambulance attending an accident in this country.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Worryingly my son and his friends who spend a bit of time playing computer race games, all seem to think that a crash like that is routinely survivable and the car will even continue driving.

If it could be done without disrupting the work of the department too much, I think kids ought to be taken to A and E departments, and morgues, and made to see the real consequences. Trouble is, how on earth you arrange it without getting in the way.

Shows like Casualty maybe show a pretty good example, but then the kids know it's not real. Somehow, they forget the 'it's not real' bit when it suits them - like in computer games and films with lots of crashes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Films like Transporter don't help; kids don't realise that the car is killed by the stunt but that there are another dozen identical cars lined up for the rest of the stunts, so they begin to think the cars are indestructible.

Being a younger person who plays a few 'racing games' I'd like to add it's not all of us who think the cars are indestructible.

I play two driving simulators mainly, and they both do crashes very well, the cars do brake. Not that I crash that often as I'm not silly.

If a trip to A & E doesn't open kids eyes, then maybe (here in the US anyway) some cold hard facts about money. If that kid in the crash doesn't have insurance they could easily be looking at tens of thousands in hospital bills or at least their parents will. We had a story in the news recently where a kid crashed his new pickup and injured himself and his friends in the car. His parents had to remortgage their home to help pay all the medical bills.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Being a younger person who plays a few 'racing games' I'd like to add it's not all of us who think the cars are indestructible.

I play two driving simulators mainly, and they both do crashes very well, the cars do brake. Not that I crash that often as I'm not silly.

The cars brake or break?

Top Bottom