anemia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
had a recent full blood test for tiredness ive always been slightly anemic but my last test my rb cells came back as 11.1 my lowest yet but my iron b12 folate etc is fine about 4 years ago I had to have a bone marrow biopsy done the outcome was my red blood cells die prematurely but they don't know why im being reffered back to heamotology by my doctor I wanted to go cycle camping this year but I might put it on hold im also type 2 diabetic , does anyone else have similar issues with anemia.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello,
Only just seen your message. I had similar issues and had a bone marrow biopsy. My red cells die prematurely too. I was diagnosed with MDS, I would have thought that your haematologist would have checked for it as a matter of course but it's always worth asking.
All the best, hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
Hello,
Only just seen your message. I had similar issues and had a bone marrow biopsy. My red cells die prematurely too. I was diagnosed with MDS, I would have thought that your haematologist would have checked for it as a matter of course but it's always worth asking.
All the best, hope you get it sorted.
hi there thanks for replying was it just your red blood cells im waiting for a heamotology appt but some days feel really tired I can sleep soundly for 12 hours and still feel exhausted mild exertion and im out of breath the doctor has ordered a lot of different blood tests to rule things out is looking at scloderma get bloods done again on Friday I need to know whats causing my anemia as its affecting my job as a carer

Tenkaykev

Guru
hi there thanks for replying was it just your red blood cells im waiting for a heamotology appt but some days feel really tired I can sleep soundly for 12 hours and still feel exhausted mild exertion and im out of breath the doctor has ordered a lot of different blood tests to rule things out is looking at scloderma get bloods done again on Friday I need to know whats causing my anemia as its affecting my job as a carer

Not just red blood cells.
I was a long distance runner and suddenly developed severe fatigue and breathlessness that felt different to normal tiredness that you'd expect when running long distance.
Had a blood test and the Doctor said I was anaemic.
18 months later a bone marrow biopsy resulted in a diagnosis of MDS.
It's quite rare and it's usually older men who get it, but not exclusively.
As you described, it's like sleeping makes you tired!

Might pay to ask if they have tested for MDS,.

Best wishes
EDIT
Just wanted to say that five years after diagnosis I've taken up cycling and managed a 70 mile bike ride.
Happy to PM if you have any queries.

Last edited:
Hi, I periodically suffer from megaloblastic anaemia, which normally arrives with a couple of other issues that affect energy levels and general activity. I used to have fairly demanding physical jobs and it was hard to keep plodding on when going through a tough spell and would necessarily have to take things easier at work. I did find commuting by bike helpful for breaking through that almost impossible to get going feeling - which helped me manage my efforts through the day.
When times were particularly bad I would still manage a session or two each week at the velodrome that involved hard efforts - I could smoke everyone on the track but barely manage the walk there and back. Better for my mental outlook rather than managing energy, although it was useful for telling me when I had absolutely nothing left.

Medically, I can't talk as to whether it's advisable (much of the medical advice I have had over the years has been counter-productive - particularly around this issue) but moderate to hard efforts on the bike helped improve my general well-being. It helped lift me over a wall of fatigue that blocked aspects of my life that were important to me, not just cycling.

Top Bottom