Angers to Nevers to Paris to Rouen to Dieppe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
So, I took the bull by the horns and cycled alone, with a tent, for a very pleasant 16 day tour of France.

It was my first time camping and I hadn't really planned it other than a 'back of a fag packet' idea. I'll summarise the route with some pics as well as some, hopefully, relevant commentary. I haven't included every single thing I did but just the bones of a really nice tour.

Day 1 - train from Brighton to Portsmouth for Brittany Ferries ferry to St. Malo. The ferry is a 12ish hour journey so not a lot of sleep though you can book a cabin, I didn't, which I'm sure would help.
Day 2 - train from St. Malo to Angers via Le Mans. I had already phoned SNCF for my ticket but you can buy on the day and no need to reserve a place for bike or dismantle it as there is a designated place on the train - obviously if lots of cyclists turn up then this could create space issues. It did cost E10 per journey though for the bike. Once I arrived in Angers - beautiful - I cycled to my first campsite on the outskirts.
Day 3 - Angers to Saumur. Campsite from local Tourist Office
Day 4 - Saumur to Rigny Usse (great campsite in RU). Campsite from local Tourist Office.
Day 5-6 - Rigny Usse to Amboise (2 night stop) including a day cycle to Chenonceaux. Campsite was big but superb location. Campsite from local Tourist Office.
Day 7-8 - Amboise to St. Laurent Nouan. Campsite from local Tourist Office. Here I experienced a massive thunderstorm at night, terrifying lightening, but my Terra Nova tent kept me dry as a bone however the Altura panniers that I thought were waterproof meant all my clothes were soaked. It didn't look like the weather would improve so I caved in and spent the next night in a chambre d'hôte. It was right next to the tourist office, cost E35 and food E25 (all homemade and delicious) plus the 'mad' teacher owner was great fun. Annoying little dog tough.
Day 9 - Cléry St. André to Orléans. Campsite from local Tourist Office.
Day 10 - Orléans to Sully sur Loire. Campsite from local Tourist Office.
Day 11 - Sully sur Loire to Charité sur Loire. Campsite from local Tourist Office. Great cycle to Sancerre for lunch which you earn after a bit of uphill but wonderful views.
Day 12 - Charité sur Loire to Nevers. Campsite from local Tourist Office.
Day 13-14 - Nevers to Paris. B&B. Paris was magnificent, some nice cycle lanes and easy to see most of the main attractions including the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Place de la Concorde, the Louvre, Pont des Arts and my favourite bit which was cycling along the Avenue des Champs Élysées both exhilarating and very busy.
Day 15 - Paris to Rouen. Here I cycled to Saint Nazare (west of Gare du Nord) then hung up my bike in a designated carriage for the journey. No charge or dismantling required but I did ask when booking, which I would always advise, it helps of you can speak French.
Day 16 - Rouen to Dieppe then home.

Advantages
Cheap
Easy to find a campsite - very well signposted or use the Tourist Office
Amazing food
Complete freedom to roam
Wonderfully peaceful along the Loire
There is a designated route Loire à vélo which I sometimes followed but I also brought my Michelin maps and used D roads/my own route.

Disadvantages
If you want a high octane route this isn't it but as I wanted the experience of doing it alone it was perfect giving me more experience of cyclo-camping in France should I decide to do a more 'serious cycling' route in the future.

I'm sure there are lots of things I have missed and if anything relevant comes to me, I will add.

I really hope this is helpful because I found when seeking advice on here that 99% of you are really helpful though I experienced a handful of what I would call 'full kit golfers' who have seen everything, done everything and don't really offer anything constructive.

My reason for posting is to hopefully help anyone who is not the most experienced tourer see how easy it can be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 30

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Brilliant!:bravo:

France is a wonderful place to ride

Top Bottom