Annoying noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
My bike has developed an annoying noise. It's definatly coming from the back wheel.

It's clicking/creaking sound and happens once every wheel revolution. It also only happens when I'm actually on the bike, pedalling or freewheeling. But, when I get off the bike and lift the rear of the bike up and turn the pedal with my hands, there is no noise. :sad:

The wheel spins true, there are no loose spokes, there is nothing rubbing that I can see. It doesn't affect the way the bike runs, no problems with the gear change or the brakes. I can't figure out what the problem is.

Any help?

Ta muchness.;)

yello

I had such a noise from the front wheel. Someone here (mickle?) suggested it might be spokes rubbing. So I took the wheel out, went around all the spokes putting a drop of oil where they crossed and flexed/moved them across each other. Refitted the wheel and, low and behold.... the noise was still there! BUT much reduced!!

Whether it was reseating the wheel or oiling the spokes, I don't know. But my guess is that is was the spokes. I seem to notice the noise more when the weather's warm, but that maybe co-incidental/nonsense, so maybe it has something to do with spokes expanding in the heat... dunno.

Danny

Legendary Member
cookiemonster said:
The spokes expanding in the heat could be the problem as I'm currently in the south of France at the moment.
I find it hard to imagine that spokes could expand that much in the heat - how hot is it there?

Anyway I'd put up with some noisy spokes in return for a bit of heat - it went down to about 14c at one point today ;)

gbb

Legendary Member
Never did figure the logic in it, but my wifes hybrid had a similar problem...i eventually (with a capital E :wacko: ) found it was the plastic spoke protector behind the cassette. Must have been rubbing on a spoke ???
Maybe worth a lookee (if you have one fitted)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could also be 'corrosion' at the interface between spoke nipple and eyelet on the rim..... I retired a set of wheels this year as my rear's were making the clickety click constantly...... but they were 15 plus years old, so time for new ones.

Try removing the tyres and tape and squirt lube into each eyelet.

Top Bottom