Another bike maintenance question...wheels..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...are the front and rear wheels supposed to spin att he same speed?....If I give th erear wheel a good spin it goes round forever...takes ages to stop turning. When I give the front wheel the same spin it goes around nicely but stops a LOT earlier than the rear wheel. Currently there is no chain set in place and I have the bike on a hanger. Is that normal or should they both turn as well as the rear wheel?

Peter

Perfectly normal. The rear wheel is heavier (with the cassette) and like you say, will spin forever.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's loads sooner, then I'd check out the bearings/tightness. As things go, if spinning the wheel, the rear should stop slightly sooner because of the slight resistance on the freewheel....spinning the wheels doesn't move the sprockets....

hubgearfreak

Über Member
with the front wheel spinning, put a big screw driver onto the axle, and the handle end into your ear. do you hear grinding and grumbling, or does it sound like ball bearings rolling around in grease?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I will try that...

This is a quote ref some Khamsin wheels I read at random

The hubs, also in anodized aluminium, ride on sealed high-quality bearings.

Does the bearings being in a sealed unit mean that if the bearings fail I need to buy a new wheel?

No, just new sealed bearings.

Top Bottom