Another day, another left hook - with vigilante!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mknash

So yet again, another left hook. Car passes me and another cyclist around 5 yards before the turning (goes left, no indication - natch), cyclist in front turns with it, I nearly end up in his left passenger window.

Due to torrential rain, bad night sleep and countless other pointless excuse, I kicked out at his door as I pulled into the road and pedalled off. 40 seconds later a previously unnoticed vehicle pulls in front of me and opens his door. I stop and am barraged with accusations that I should go and apologise, give insurance details and a whole bunch of other junk. After explaining myself I ask if they know the first driver (now vanished) and they say no, just a concerned citizen. (or words to that effect).

Now, this is the second time in a couple of years that random driver has decided to accost me for on behalf of someone else. , though last time the stranger tried to force me off the road.

So my question is this. Has any 'downed' cyclist ever had other drivers attempt to assist them, or even register disapproval at the bad drving of others? I have ended up in the road a couple of times as the direct result of bad driving and cannot remember one time that a driver took it upon himslef to follow the hit-and-run driver in the name of justice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't kick the door ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mknash

mknash

Fully admit my own impulsiveness did not help, and was possibly uncalled for. I was quite open about this in the post

But I am still interested if anyone has ever had a driver act similarly in defense of a cyclist.

PpPete

Legendary Member
So my question is this. Has any 'downed' cyclist ever had other drivers attempt to assist them, or even register disapproval at the bad drving of others? I have ended up in the road a couple of times as the direct result of bad driving and cannot remember one time that a driver took it upon himslef to follow the hit-and-run driver in the name of justice.

When I was "off'd by a boat" last year .... (there was a thread about it) the driver of the following car not only stopped so that his passenger could jump out and offer first aid, but then chased down the offending eejit.

Lee_M

Guru
40 seconds later a previously unnoticed vehicle pulls in front of me and opens his door. I stop and am barraged with accusations that I should go and apologise, give insurance details and a whole bunch of other junk.

why did you not just ride round him and leave him standing in the road? ^_^

sabian92

Über Member
I haven't had it but I can understand why somebody would stop. If I saw somebody kicking somebody else's car I'd probably question them too although if somebody sees you getting cut up they should sort of understand why you did it.

When I was "off'd by a boat" last year .... (there was a thread about it) the driver of the following car not only stopped so that his passenger could jump out and offer first aid, but then chased down the offending eejit.
Probably fellow cyclists

classic33

Leg End Member
Fully admit my own impulsiveness did not help, and was possibly uncalled for. I was quite open about this in the post

But I am still interested if anyone has ever had a driver act similarly in defense of a cyclist.
Yes. Sideswiped by a car that got to close passing due to lorry coming the other way. Car me behind stopped, passenger door opens & closes, then the car sped off. It was a case of "Sh!t, what now".
Passenger had got out out to see to me whilst the driver went after the car. Stopping it & calling the police. Passenger & driver were in contact with each other, when he'd stopped the car. Again checking if I was ok. Driver then called the police & I don't think it was just because of what happenned.

Top Bottom