(Another) fat man on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Hi
I'm recently retired (OMIL) & have been riding a Specialized Soft Rock (was my son's many years ago) non suspension bike. I was clinically obese. I have type2 diabetes, high blood pressure (they are both well under control so i don't notice them now). Smaller than you but nevertheless totally unfit a year ago. I now am within a couple of kilo of what i should weigh & got fit enough so that last year I was able to walk up Mount Vesuvius (1300 feet) & leave people almost a couple of decades younger for dead!
I have a small advantage in that in my youth I did race, so while my knowledge is dated, I still have an idea about the technology.
One of the sites I found inspiring was this one http://theamazing39s....wordpress.com/ . This guy is something else. His journey effectively from near death to the present day is incredible.
It also is a good pointer to the path he took on selection of kit & how he progressed as he went along.
He's recently jazzed up his site but if you look at some of the older postings you'll see his equipment progression which started with 2nd hand stuff, so it may be of use.
Good luck.

What an amazing post, its also great to read you find me , normal old me, inspiring :biggrin:

As anyone here who knows me, knows, I am ALWAYS happy to help anyone with any questions they have when it comes to cycling when obese.

Just fire away

Gaz

OP
OP
Large

Large

Duty idiot
Thanks for sharing the 39-stone cyclist link which I found most inspiring. I'm not nearly that big, but I need to shift about 55kg and started last night with a quick 20-minute blast to get the new machine adjusted properly. Despite having a gym-spec exercise bike and sky tv in my study at home, nothing beats getting out in the fiesh air. Just need to make some minoradjustments to the bars and I am good to go for my first long ride at the weekend.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks for sharing the 39-stone cyclist link which I found most inspiring. I'm not nearly that big, but I need to shift about 55kg and started last night with a quick 20-minute blast to get the new machine adjusted properly. Despite having a gym-spec exercise bike and sky tv in my study at home, nothing beats getting out in the fiesh air. Just need to make some minoradjustments to the bars and I am good to go for my first long ride at the weekend.

Im the 39 stone cyclist :smile:

You are right, nothing beats the open road, there is no way I would be where I am today, without a real bike and the out side world !

oliglynn

Über Member
I ride a trek 7.3fx - which you can get for around £400-450. It has 32x600c slick tyres, and as far as I can tell they're pretty much bulletproof. Not a single p******* since I got it over 2 years (~1500 miles) ago, and it's been through its fair share of potholes etc.

It's a very quick hybrid. It's a great deal faster than a mountain bike, and if I push it it's almost as quick as my roadie. More expensive fx models have disc brakes if that's what you want, but i'd recommend saving a fair bit of your budget for accessories and clothing if you don't yet possess things like a track pump & mini pump, saddle bag, cycle shorts, speedo, lights, toolkit, etc. They always end up costing a LOT more than you think....!!!:tongue:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd just like to say don't be too quick to completely dismis your Raleigh Equipe. With a set of good wheels it might well be fine. Right now you may think you are a bit too heavy for it and that the riding position may be uncomfortable but this may well change as you get more used to riding and as you shed some pounds. I'm on the wrong side of 20st and am looking to getting into riding more to remedy this.
Back when I was a lad I had the Raleigh bog standard blue and white team coloured racer (or road bike as the young folk call em nowadays) and I loved it. I remember looking at the Equipe with envy as it was a couple of steps up from mine. I'd definitely use one again if I got a bit lighter and might even be tempted to try now if the right one came along, a team bike or an equipe or one of the record sprints. Ah nostalgia...it aint what it used to be.

Wightdragon

I have been through the same journey, from 128 kg to 88. Had decided I had had enough of lying on a greek beach wondering when Greenpeace were going to turn up and try to push me back in the water!

Got a Scott hybrid on C2W 18 months ago and haven't driven to work since, come rain or snow. I did cheat and use the gym three times a week as well but got to present weight in 8 months. Hard work and good eating habits were what did it.

Now have a frisky French road bike doing about 120 m a week, first sportive done, couple of hundred milers to do in the summer and autumn and a London Paris ride in June.

I am sure you don't need more inspiration having read gb155's story but thought it might help. Wish I had got a bike 20 years ago now.

All it needed was the effort put in and ignoring the Lycra jokes from my children!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It seems almost by accident that I've landed here reading the inspirational journey that Gaz is on and about how there are other people out there like myself who have come to realise it's time to do something positive so I'd just like to say thanks for sharing your stories and that it has put me in a much better frame of mind with which to aproach my own weight issues.

OP
OP
Large

Large

Duty idiot
I'd just like to say don't be too quick to completely dismis your Raleigh Equipe. With a set of good wheels it might well be fine. Right now you may think you are a bit too heavy for it and that the riding position may be uncomfortable but this may well change as you get more used to riding and as you shed some pounds. I'm on the wrong side of 20st and am looking to getting into riding more to remedy this.
Back when I was a lad I had the Raleigh bog standard blue and white team coloured racer (or road bike as the young folk call em nowadays) and I loved it. I remember looking at the Equipe with envy as it was a couple of steps up from mine. I'd definitely use one again if I got a bit lighter and might even be tempted to try now if the right one came along, a team bike or an equipe or one of the record sprints. Ah nostalgia...it aint what it used to be.

The Equipe will stay in the garage for the foreseeable and WHEN I get the pounds shifted on the Bad Boy I'll get it overhauled professonallly IF the riding position is comfortable. I still have quite a bit of pain following two lung operations last year, so I hope that I can get back on it one day in the not-too-distant future.

OP
OP
Large

Large

Duty idiot
Well, it's been a while since I posted on the thread and the Bad Boy is going really well. Just a little niggle with the front gear change which I will get sorted soon and just the one puncture since I had the bike delivered, and 10kg lost so far. I could really do a lot more, it has to be said, but my excuse is that I work 50 miles from home and I am out nearly 13 hours every day. Luckily the office has a good gym and spinning classes, so I am going along two or three times a week.

Thanks again for all your advice. Since I have bought the bike I have been buying more cycling kit, including a retro La Vie Claire jersey which is a bit too small, but into which I want to fit by the summer. I must practice what I preach!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Well, it's been a while since I posted on the thread and the Bad Boy is going really well. Just a little niggle with the front gear change which I will get sorted soon and just the one puncture since I had the bike delivered, and 10kg lost so far. I could really do a lot more, it has to be said, but my excuse is that I work 50 miles from home and I am out nearly 13 hours every day. Luckily the office has a good gym and spinning classes, so I am going along two or three times a week.

Thanks again for all your advice. Since I have bought the bike I have been buying more cycling kit, including a retro La Vie Claire jersey which is a bit too small, but into which I want to fit by the summer. I must practice what I preach!

10kg is 10kg

Well done& keep at it

Top Bottom