Another Giant CFR for the collection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

I have a couple of 1996 Giant CFR's (Carbon Fibre Racing) that I love, both being lovely to ride and bikes others seem to like when I take them out.

1996 seems to be the last year of the aluminium lugged carbon frames before Giant went to full carbon for 1997.

My CFR Pro Series :
20220429_112321.jpg

The Pro Series was the top of the range at the time and has a carbon bladed fork unlike the alloy fork of the lower spec models.

My CFR 3:
20220804_125110.jpg

The CFR 3 originally had a full Shimano RSX groupset with 3 x 7 drivetrain, mine had a 2 x setup in poor condition so I fitted a mix of 105 components and newer Mavic wheels. I use it for hill practice mainly.
I'm biased but I think it's a really handsome bike, and it's one of my favourites to ride.

Looking on Gumtree last night I found an identical and almost original 1996 CFR3 (in the right frame size too- 61cm) for sale at a great price and thought it would be a nice addition to my other bikes:
20220804_125015.jpg

This one has the original Rigida wheels, full RSX groupset and everything works well, including the shifters.
20220804_125024.jpg

Original long cage derailleur and 11-24 cassette.
20220804_125033.jpg

26/36/46 crankset
20220804_124246.jpg

Brifters in great working condition.

20220804_125010.jpg

My plan is to keep the bike as original as possible- the god awful handlebar tape will go and black tape will go on.
New 25mm tyres to replace the 23's, cables and brake blocks will go on plus a new chain.
I may keep the 11-24 cassette but have a 12-28 if I decide on lower gearing.
A shorter stem will probably be needed which I have ready to go.
Overall I'm really happy with it, it should turn out well.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's a nice collection you have and they all look totally use able bikes
There's a nice blue CFR pro for sale locally that i keep telling myself i don't need ^_^

OP
OP
B

buzz22

My very first road bike - a Giant Speeder of similar vintage - had those Rigida wheels. I wouldn't exactly say it was a bonus to have them! :laugh:

I haven't had anything to do with Rigida wheels, my thoughts on this bike are more to keep it original. If only to justify having two identical bikes 😄

OP
OP
B

buzz22

I couldn't resist getting stuck in to the new project.

The old handlebar tape came off and I started to get the ergonomics dialled in.
I replaced the very long stem with a much shorter stem to reduce the reach.
The hoods of the brifters are longer than the aero brake levers on my other CFR3 so the shorter stem puts me in roughly the same spot.

Before with longer stem:
20220804_125015.jpg

After with shorter stem:
20220804_184149.jpg

The bars were adjusted as well as seat position and the bike is now pretty much as comfortable as my other one.
A newish chain also went on and showed that the drivetrain is in good condition so looks like a clean up should be enough.

OP
OP
B

buzz22

20220806_184600.jpg

Almost done- new bar tape went on (which is always a nice touch) and a quick clean and it's looking good.

I popped on a couple of new tubes, reused the 700 x 23 Maxxis Refuse that was on it (relocated from back wheel to front) and put on another one on the back from another project.

Brake blocks need to be replaced along with the front brake cable, a thorough clean and it will be ready to go.

Top Bottom