Another KMX...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cupples

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while, but I thought I would post up some details. I picked up a KMX Typhoon (2017 model?) a couple of months ago out of curiosity (also, it was £310, so cheap) and I've been getting to grips with it since. It hadn't been used much, and I wanted to see if it would be practical for my (very short... 1mile!) commute and general relaxed pootling around. I usually ride uprights, and raced them up until a year ago, but I don't have the time to train at present, and it's nice not to have sore neck/shoulders after a ride.

So, I've been enjoying some aspects of trike ownership - the relaxed nature, seating position, the view! (admiring the stars on a clear night, not something I ever did on a DF!) The KMX is very comfy, even with swapping the large, cheap tyres for something narrower. And it moves fairly well, especially on the flat and downhill, but the gearing is a bit of a limiting factor. I was able to attach a rack fairly easily (a Topeak Super Tourist Disc that I had lying around), and attach a good front light (Decathlon VIOO 900, nice and bright!) with rubber bands - visibility is really important, I'm finding!

Some aspects - not so good. The KMX is a 1x8 setup, with 42T chainset and 11-34T cassette (24"-71"), which is ok - it gets me up a nearby 16% hill without my knees exploding, barely, but I really miss the high gears on the flat and downhills. I tried a 53/39 on the front, which helped, but there's no pillar for mounting a front mech to, so manual changing was a bit hair shirt... also it kept throwing the chain off going over bumps.
16" tyres! 306 size! What a pain. The only even semi-decent ones I could find were Schwalbe Road Cruisers, which are... not great. At least the 20" rear takes a Kojak.
Speed! These things aren't for collecting KOMs, are they? Should have saved up for a Windcheetah. But this is all that there was for sale in Northern Ireland!

So, my plans are:
- 56T chainset ordered from China for about £30.
- 11-40t 9 speed cassette ordered from China, for about £13.
- SunTour barend shifter run on friction setting, so I don't have to worry about compatibility, £10.
This should give loads of high gears, and lose a little off the low end (26"-95")
And at a later date....
- either rebuild front wheels onto 20" rims, or else buy wheels from KMX (£75 each, but they use proprietary hubs, it seems)
- some alternative arrangement for the front shifting - has anyone seen a FSA Metropolis Patterson chainset? 2 speed 28t/45t chainset, about £200.... hmm, the possibilities...

I will be asking questions about this setup soon!
Andrew

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Welcome to the wonderful world of recumbent triking. I bought an ICE last year and really need to get out on it more

Andrew1971

Veteran
@Cupples
What wheel size do you have on your KMX. I have now have 20inch front and 26inch rear They are a KMX Vemon wheels set. From KMX near £260 delivered then tyre's tube's and rim tape. The best upgrade i have done. If price is to steep just get the 2 front wheel's and a 700c for rear.
As i have about 1.5 inch with tyre on before it hits the frame.
Andrew

OP
OP
Cupples

Cupples

Currently running 20" rear and 16" front. I'm contemplating getting the KMX 20 inch front wheels and getting a MTB rear wheel, or getting a couple of 20" rims and getting the existing wheels rebuilt; but I've just fitted mudguards all round, and I don't want to have to faff around with that again! I think if I was going to run larger wheels, I might just contemplate a lighter trike...

Top Bottom