Another Newbie Here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Enjoy :cycle::bicycle:
Been on ride with mate today with his new carrera cirrus CX bike .looks a good bike for the money sure yours will be OK

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Any bike, any rider is welcome here, Maz.
Enjoy your new baby, wish you many happy miles in 2015 :hello:

Isabella

Regular
Hi and :welcome: Maz.

As others have said, the Carrera's are quite well regarded on here as being some of the cheapest decent bikes on the market.

My tip for getting started in cycling is to get your saddle height right. New riders tend to have it set way too low (thinking you're supposed to be able to put both feet on the ground when seated) which makes riding hard work and puts strain on the knees.

Enjoy it and let us know how you get on.:thumbsup:
Just noticed your post! I am a total newbie, getting started on a secondhand bike and I can,t put my feet on the ground without jumping out of the saddle! I am seriously thinking of buying a new bike and thought that your feet were meant to touch terra firma! Forgive my ignorance everyone as never cycled before.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just noticed your post! I am a total newbie, getting started on a secondhand bike and I can,t put my feet on the ground without jumping out of the saddle! I am seriously thinking of buying a new bike and thought that your feet were meant to touch terra firma! Forgive my ignorance everyone as never cycled before.
It's something that an awful lot of new cyclists don't realise, so dunna worry. Sounds like you're probably not far off at the moment. The advice I usually give is to set the height so that with your heel on the pedal, the leg is straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Your leg should then have just about the right amount of bend at the knee when pedalling with the ball of the foot.

There are far more sophisticated methods to set the bike up but this one is nice and easy for beginners.:thumbsup:

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Welcome! and don't worry about doing many miles to start. You story is similar to mine in that I hadn't cycled for donkeys years. I could only manage about 2 miles my first go but within 7 weeks I did a 29 mile ride with two mates from work and they are both very fit so I was able to keep up mostly (Though it was a bit unfair in that one of them was carrying a bike trailer for their young son too haha) but now I regularly commute back and forth the 7 miles each way to work and love it.

Top Bottom