Another Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rosalind

Hi everyone, I am new here.

Well where do I start! I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years, but for the past year or so after finding the gym really boring, I thought about getting a bike, not to commute to and from work, the idea of biking up Alan Turing Way and Oxford Road in Manchester terrifies me, but just so I can go out and ride round the parks near where I live in North Manchester.

I am still getting around to buying a bike. I haven't a clue what I am looking for. I like the look of the "step through" "sit up and beg" bikes.

Well I hope I do eventually get a bike and hope I will be posting on here again soon.

Take care and happy/safe biking.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Welcome to CC :biggrin:

Good luck with the bike hunting, there's loads of "what bike" threads on here, or just post asking for some advice when the time comes :thumbsup:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Rosalind
:hello:

Best go to a local bike shop (LBS) and have a chat with someone about what kind of riding you might do.

Beware of Halfords - lots of horror stories on here of bikes from Halfords not being set up properly when sold - I think it depends very much on the keen-ness and knowledge of the folks in the particular branch, which can be quite variable.

Lilylass

Hello and welcome! I got my new bike last weekend after many years "away" from cycling. I had similar reasons for wanting to start again as you (I hate the gym and it's soooo expensive) and also just want to do some pleasurable cycling around where I live (very lucky to live in the countryside).

Not been out too many times yet and unfotunately it doesn't look like I'll be going anywhere this weekend as around 4" of snow!

I went for a step through frame. I've got a bad back and thought the more upright riding position might be better. On my limited experience so far, I'm really glad I did as it's very comfy to ride.

Only "downside" so far has been the lack of suitable places to put a water bottle/cage but this has been easily remidied with a trip to Mountain Warehouse where I got a great hydration backpack. I was a bit wary of how this would feel, but IMHO, it's great, and I don''t even notice it's there. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Rosalind

Hi Lilylass

I too sometimes suffer from pain in my lower back, that's why I thought an upright would be better.

Weather permitting (!!) I hope to start looking for a bike soon.

I have heard some good reports on a LBS near where I live from a few people on this forum and at home, so I think I will be taking a trip to Gerry Shields in Failsworth, Manchester.

Top Bottom