Another Pannier Question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coopman

I did a short tour last year using some fairly cheap panniers I had (halfords), and while these did a really good job, they are a touch on the small side at 20l for the rear pair (required some really carefull packing!).
Doing a longer tour this year and am planning to get some larger panniers and just wondered what kind of sizes everyone had, or thought were ideal.
I was thinking of going up to 36 to 40 litre capacity. My plan is 2 on the back, tent on rear rack and a handlebar bag.
Any particuliar recommendations as well, I like the look of the Orb ones, but 2 things put me off, price and the weight of them.
Thanks in advance.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Love my Ortleib ones ... waterproof, fairly bomb proof - I hated it everytime it rained and having to stop and check things were in bags... I have the classic roll top ones. Bought the bar bag for this year's trip. I use mine all the time. Cost wise once you went above the basic bags I didn't think they were that different than other bags - it cost me about £67 last year for my pair.

andym

Über Member
coopman said:
Any particuliar recommendations as well, I like the look of the Orb ones, but 2 things put me off, price and the weight of them.
Thanks in advance.

I was an Ortlieb refusnik for a long time but caved in in the end after finding that my expensive panniers by another manufacturer weren't in fact completely waterproof.

A decent pair of panniers should last you a very long time, and in comparison with all of the other costs they re pretty cheap.

I doubt you'll find quality panniers that are much lighter. If weight is a big issue you could pay a bit more and get the 'plus' bags.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It might be worth considering front and rear panniers rather than MASSIVE rear ones. I've never done this, so can't give first hand experience, but it feels like the weight would be more evenly distributed and thus it would ride better?

I have Ortliebs too and love them. The yellow ones are very pretty :smile:

CycleTourer

Veteran
coopman said:
ok, the orbs are good, Im being converted! but what about size???

If you are going for the Ortliebs, then for size it would have to be the 40l as you said that the Halfords 20l ones were too small and the 25l Orltiebs wouldn't give you much more room.

Personally I wouldn't go for anything larger than 40l on the back, but spread the weight out by using front panniers. This will give you a much more stable ride (no pulling wheelies up hills and less wallowing on downhill bends) and it will also put less strain on the rear wheel.

theloafer

Legendary Member
only one word needed..CARRADICE..will last for years mine still going strong aftre 25 years www.carradice.co.uk

OP
OP
C

coopman

decided to go for the back roller plus ones after all, I'm sure they will last for years so it will be money well spent. After managing with 20 litre capacity last year I will have loads of room to fit in loads of un necessary gear!
Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

psmiffy said:
ontheroadtofrance - I have never seen C2P in the shops - I am thinking about a set - what is the build quality like compared with say altura?

They are like the Altura, they come with a waterproof cover with each pannier these are cheap and i bought them for my up coming trip to France in the summer. For 44 quid you cant go wrong they are top quality i think personally would recommend them to anyone

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I have the Creek to Peak office bag and it's great. It came away unscathed from being dragged along the floor when I fell off a couple of times.

jay clock

Massive member
If you are after a handlebar bag I have one of these. http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111846.html -

They are 3 litres which is ample for keys, phone, wallet camera, gloves, buff etc, and they have a great map cover. Also has a waterproof cover but in massive rain it leaked. The Ortlieb ones are giant (7 litres) and I find it easy to overfill them

Edinburgh Cycles also do the exact same model as Vaude here in their own name http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...6&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003119c003125

Top Bottom