Another SPD convert.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
After havey-quavering since I bought my first road bike in March, I've finally switched to SPD pedals. I've played it safe and gone for Shimano A530 pedals, which are SPD one side and flat on the other. After much researching I again played it safe with the shoes and went for the trainer looking Shimano MT42. I had a quick spin up the street yesterday, and at first I thought they were incredibly difficult to judge the clip in point but after loosening the tension and practising I soon got the hang of it.

Today I jumped in and did the 23 mile round trip commute. As I set off for work early (6am) I managed the whole trip without having to unclip. For the ride home I thought I'd have to unclip loads of times, but I did the whole journey with only one stop at lights where I had to unclip the right foot. This was mainly down to changing the way I ride. I usually filter to the front, but today I just slowed down and stayed a few cars back so I didn't have to come to a complete stop. Oh, I did rest a hand on some chaps car boot while waiting to get across a grid locked road, cheers mate.

So, I managed to not fall over on my first day. I don't think I'll 'forget' I'm clipped in as the new shoes are so different to the squash trainers I've been wearing. Also, the connection to the bike is so solid that I'm very aware I'm attached to the bike.........time will tell I suppose.

To summarise, I wish I'd tried them ages ago. The flat pedal with toe clips/cages I've been using were o.k. but I kept catching my toe on the front crud mudguard when turning sharply, and I suppose you're wasting quite a bit of power with flexible trainers instead of the hard soled SPD shoes.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Nice one. Thinking of going SPD myself. Got a pair of the ALDI cycling shoes, which can take cleats, but I'm still on flats (commuting) and toeclips (road) at the moment. That said, I've really noticed an improvement in power with the rigid soles.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A set of SPD's will be my Christmas present. Currently I'm looking at:

Shimano 5700 105 SPD's plus a pair of BG Comp road shoes. I tried the Shimano ones but I've got fat feet and these seemed to fit better :blush:

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've really noticed an improvement in power with the rigid soles.

I was surprised how much more power seems to be transmitted through the pedals. Even better when you're clipped in.

Shimano 5700 105 SPD's plus a pair of BG Comp road shoes. I tried the Shimano ones but I've got fat feet and these seemed to fit better :blush:

I nearly went for a 'proper' road shoe, but I do have to walk around a bit when I get to work. Also the trainer type I've gone for should be a bit warmer through the Winter, and they are very comfy. Maybe Santa will bring me some road/race shoes though.....along with an Allez Comp?:tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Yup, Spesh shoes have a wider fit then Shims.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As I can't go further than half a mile from here before hitting a red light, I think it might be the stop-start nature of urban cycling that made the transition from clips to SPDs so easy for me - lots of practice makes it second nature pretty quickly.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Unfortunately red lights are commonplace. On Monday I decided to count them on my 11-mile commute; 37 from Dewsbury to Leeds. 25 of which were red. Surely there's a traffic light goblin that makes them change colour as I approach :angry:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
After a couple of successful commutes, I'd postively look for chances to unclip. Makes it more intuitive, and therefore less likely to suffer a "moment".

Top Bottom