Another what bike thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Afternoon All,
I am toying with a change in direction and buying a MTB for winter commuting (as will use Ribble for good weather and summer) and weekend trails.

I am looking to take advantage of cyclescheme so have a limit of £1000, could any of you point me in the direction of a good spec for cash & weight bike I could test ride, also what tyre size would be best for my road and weekend needs?

Thanks

L

xx

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
29er tyres roll much better than 26" on hard surfaces - well worthwhile as you plan to commute with the bike.

You might need to narrow it down a bit, there's such a choice. These days it'll be 650b or 29er wheels, if you're commuting, a hardtail with suspension lockout and then it depends what you want to ride at the wknd, trails, xc, both. Also, do you want to put a rack on it, many don't have mounting points, so that's a limiter maybe.

Manufacturers that immediately spring to mind, are Boardman, Jamis, Whyte, Genesis, followed by all the usual suspects. If it was me I'd be tempted by the less usual suspects.

Boardman
Whyte 29er
Genesis
Jamis

Looking for lockout forks, air spring, good frame, good geometry and a decent componentry level. Over to you?

As ever the Cube is well specced and hard to beat. Lighter than the Whyte and a bit more of an all rounder. Not a fan of the big branded graphics but hey. Anywhere you can get to ride them?

Paul99

Über Member
I picked up a Cube ltd Pro 29er on the C2W this weekend. I used it today for my 20mile return trip to the station and can say it feels very different to ride than my usual CX commuter, but i enjoyed it. It took me about 5 minutes longer than usual but I did a bit of cycle path rather than my usual road route, so I would guesstimate that it would only be about a couple of minutes slower had I used the road.

Definately go sit on one and get a test ride if you can. (a 29er not necessarily a cube!)

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Just read the article on the Scott Scale 960 2013 and it won HT of the year, checked the 2014 and they have downgraded the brakes to M395 from M466, so kind put me off. Will pop to the shops when I get a chance and try some out.

Nothing much wrong with M395's and it's absolutely not unusual to find 2013 spec is better than 2014, across all manufacturers. I just bought my son a 2013 bike for that very reason.

Top Bottom