another which bike thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy1

I've just started doing some rides with York Clifton Cycle Club .The first time I was riding my galaxy with panniers while everyone else had their Carbon fibre racing machines. On saturday i did another (66 miler) this time without panniers,the galaxy still weighs a tonne in comparison to the other bikes that were out.Anyway so now I'm thinking about getting a road bike ,preferably steel or aluminium as I've heard the cheaper carbon bikes are prone to cracking.I'm 16 stoneish if that makes any difference? budget of somewhere between 500-1000.I'm not really sure where to start (except obviously the bile shop :smile: ) Any suggestions??

MajorMantra

galaxy1 said:
I've just started doing some rides with York Clifton Cycle Club .The first time I was riding my galaxy with panniers while everyone else had their Carbon fibre racing machines. On saturday i did another (66 miler) this time without panniers,the galaxy still weighs a tonne in comparison to the other bikes that were out.Anyway so now I'm thinking about getting a road bike ,preferably steel or aluminium as I've heard the cheaper carbon bikes are prone to cracking.I'm 16 stoneish if that makes any difference? budget of somewhere between 500-1000.I'm not really sure where to start (except obviously the bile shop :smile: ) Any suggestions??

Whoever told you that was talking bollocks. :smile:

With decent wheels pretty well any frame on the market will be fine for your weight be it carbon, aluminium, steel, titanium, unobtainium or whatever.

The 500-1000 range covers quite basic road bikes with budget kit (Sora etc.) up to lower-end carbon (like my Ribble) with mid spec stuff like 105, Veloce/Centaur etc. For maximum value for money look at Planet-X, Ribble, Boardman, or 2009 Focus models. If you want one of the big names like Specialized you'll get a little less for your money but they're also excellent bikes. One serious race-worthy machine you might consider is the Cannondale CAAD9 but be aware it'll be quite low-specced in your price range.

Matthew

andyfromotley

galaxy1 said:
I'll take a look at the Cannondale CAAD9

I bought one in the summer for £1k. Alu frame carbon forks, full 105 kit. It is a perfect bike for club rides. Light, fast and super comfortable. Did 80 miles on it first time out and it was much more comfy than the bike i've had for 5 years. If you choose this bike you wont be disappointed, plus with a big name, it means its always going to sell well if you decide to get rid in a few years time.

I think its probably just as able for most riders than some of the carbon bikes mentioned but there are some fine machines out there for 1K. Try as many as you can and go with what feels right.

Major is right, any bike on sale is fine for your weight. (and much heavier riders too).

good luck in your search

andy

OP
OP
galaxy1

galaxy1

I had a chat with a colleague who said that Planet X,Boardman (good reviews depite Halfords) ,Fuji and Trek were all worth looking at.
DOes anyone know owt about these makes,which do you think may be better?

beancounter

galaxy1 said:
I'll take a look at the Cannondale CAAD9

For a grand I'll sell you my carbon/alu Six13, Ultegra/Dura Ace kit, Cannondale carbon cranks, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. Only 1800 miles.

PM me if interested.

bc

Top Bottom