Another which (carbon) bike thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cityfan247

sorry.

i have been thinking about getting a new best bike for a while. A couple of friends have recently bought new carbon bikes and i admit i am a bit envious.

i have had my spesh sectuer elite for 4 years.

i like the geometry - the relaxed frame is comfortable, and i also like Sram (Apex) groupset. Dont really want to switch to anything else.

so i am looking for a 'sportive' style carbon frame with sram.

problem is i cant find many brands that have Sram- even the current model of my Sectuer switched back to Shimano a couple of years ago

Now i would love to be able top spend £2000 or more but i am not really in a position to do this.
at the lower end of the carbon price scale i have looked at ribbles....but they only come with Shimamo or Compaq.

I have seen the planet x RT-58. It seems to tick all the boxes- carbon sportive frame- Apex Rival- for under £1200.

this is several hundred £'s less than most comparable bikes (with 105 or Ultegra). Seems a great buy- are PX any good? - do they really represent great value ? After previously considering buying a frame and buying Sram components i wouldnt come close to doing it for that price. Sram rival is £500+ alone.

at that price i could get some nice handbuilt wheels as well ( i weigh over 100kg)

so should i go down the planet x route or not or are there any other carbon sportive type bikes with sram i should also consider?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

Andrew_P

In between here and there
How good are your components on the Secteur? Maybe get a frame and swap everything over and then upgrade bits as you can?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have previously bought a bike and various other bits from Planetx.
No complaints from me. Bike was delivered on time as was everything else.

Carbon is not an upgrade, don't be tricked into thinking it is.

OP
OP
C

cityfan247

How good are your components on the Secteur? Maybe get a frame and swap everything over and then upgrade bits as you can?

Apart from changing the cassette and chain like for like i have only upgraded the wheels (CPX22 to Open pro) and the brake calipers that were non branded to Sram Apex. The rest of the groupset is Apex.

the idea is to keep the Sectuer as a winter bike / 2nd bike back up. Its served me well so far.

thanks for the replies so far.

As i say i have thought about getting a 'better' bike for a while. Whilst i could not justify or afford to spend lots of £££ just to get a carbon frame if i can get one for not much more than an aluminium frame why not??

The Dolan that TMHNET posted a link to is very interesting indeed. £1000 for a carbon bike with Sram Rival 11 speed- wow. I spent that much on my Aluminium Secteur with sram Apex 4 years ago.

Planet x's showroom is less than an hour away for me so i could see the bikes in the flesh so to speak and get an idea of size/headset etc. Dolan is further away so not as convenient to ensure i get the sizing right.

OP
OP
C

cityfan247

The more i look at the Dolan (and the PX as well) the more incredible value they offer.

Dolan sell the Etape frameset for £600 which in itself is a decent price- but to get the complete bike for just another £400 in amazing. the Aksium wheels are maybe a slight compromise but full Rival set up......i may have to make a trip to Ormskirk.

my only question is how do they do it for the price? A Cannondale or Specialized or Bianchi or any of the other big brands would be nearer £2000 or more for comparable spec machines. Are they that much better?

Top Bottom