Another "which laptop" question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sure there's lots of suppliers but the twice I have bought a laptop My main requirements have been a decent size screen and a separate number pad and then I look at spec to cost and reliability/reviews. That has led me to Acer. My current laptop is an Aspire 5.

vickster

Legendary Member

Those who give a one star rating and have a right old whinge or rant when the majority are positive

Cycleops

Legendary Member
From your description of your needs I'd think the last thing you need a Windows laptop.
Okay so that leaves Chromebooks Mac's and tablets.
In our house we have just about everything, a Windows HP, iPad, Chromebook and a MacBook.
I'm nearly your age and I get most pleasure out of the iPad which is just a joy to use, great interface, fabulous screen, but you might be rule it out on price. Likewise with MacBook, you don't need all that power. Please try an iPad if you can, you might like it's ease of use. 12.9" is the biggest screen size.
Chromebook is great for all the basic tasks and ours has a touch screen. Good to use and they do come with a bigger screen if you want. Lenovo do some great budget models. Great battery life. Current Chromebooks are supported for up to 12 years now. You'll need a constant Internet connection to operate it. Apple do support their machines for a long time but not as long as this.
The only category I've left out is a Android tablet. These can be bought cheaply but typically don't have long term support plus Android is a phone OS and not optimised for tablets so you should discount it unless you're on a very low budget.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thank you.

Incidentally do they still copy CDs ?
As others have said you won't get a built in optical drive but if you download iTunes to your laptop or Apple device this allows you to add your CDs to the library from a add on drive. You don't need to buy anything from iTunes if you don't want.

Top Bottom