ANPR Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You'd be surprised how many dont
Northumbria police are always posting stuff on Facebook where the burgler has left his phone/address/bank card at the scene of the crime. Or one the other day they just had to follow his footprints in the snow.:laugh:

houblon

Northumbria police are always posting stuff on Facebook where the burgler has left his phone/address/bank card at the scene of the crime. Or one the other day they just had to follow his footprints in the snow.:laugh:

I liked the one about the guy driving his ex-ambulance to Asda without tax or insurance who thought he'd make himself less conspicuous by turning the blue flashing light on...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I filled it in, just out of curiosity.
Annoyingly, there was no question along the lines of "Do you consider ANPR to be a complete waste of time because any criminal with a bit of sense will be driving around on false plates, cloned from a similar vehicle?"
Aye a good mate of mine was sat in his house when suddenly 'BANG BANG BANG' on his front door, 2 coppers informing him that his car had been spotted doing 95mph in a 30 limit 45 minutes ago (Audi A3 2,0 TDI in slate grey) luckily Pete's car hadn't moved for 3 days but the plod insisted on 'feeling' the bonnet (stone cold) and when he pointed out that the road under it was bone dry (it was persisting it down at the time) they eventually agreed his car wasn't the one seen speeding on Aylestone Rd (about 4 miles away) earlier

Strangely Pete had thought about going out but had decided not to bother but if he had he'd not been able to prove it wasn't him driving.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
They're not just for picking up offences and offenders. Just last year my Brother in law disappeared from his house in odd circumstances and wasn't seen for many, many months... he was reported missing to Police and his Dad feared he'd likely gone off and topped himself as he'd lost a child a couple of years before.

Some time later they were able to tell us that he had been pinged on ANPR multiple times and was alive and well somewhere living a new life. Being a 48 year old adult they weren't obliged to tell us where, but the important thing was that ANPR had been able to put his family at ease that he was safe.
(Unofficially they gave us the area where he'd been seen, which helped ease worries more if anything).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Let's not forget that ANPR was probably behind Dominic Cummings' lack-of-apology for his bending of lockdown rules. If he'd flatly denied it, the records would have been leaked.

Drago

Legendary Member
That would have been tricky. Historic ANPR data is held on a system called BOF - Back Office Function. Each Farce only has a certain number of authorised users (I used to be one) and every 'transaction' is logged. It is but the work of of a moment to check who has accessed the system to check a particular registration, so the leaker would be identified in the space of a few key strokes.

In addition, leaking such data would would be much like leaking confidential PNC data - at best the culprit would end up unemployed, and at worst might get to sleep over at Bubba's place for a few months or so. No one is going to risk that for an utter forehead like Cummings.

Top Bottom