ANT+ Chest Belt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

I suppose in retrospect I would have gone for the performance bundle when I bought my Garmin Edge 510. At the time I didn't think I needed the cadence sensor (and still not that fussed about it), but although I have a wrist worn HRM, I now think it would be better to have heart rate displayed in front of me on the Garmin unit.

As the egenuine Garmin chest belt is pretty expensive (and seems to get questionable reviews in the press) I'd be thankful for any advice you guys might be able to give regarding what ANT+ chest belts you use. Ultimately I'm looking for something that doesn't cost more than about £30, is reliable, and doesn't have clips on the actual elasticated belt that break within a couple of months of general use.

Any tips or advice gratefully received, thanks.

I use the Garmin one and it is good. My Etrex 30 finds it without any problems as does the wattbike down the gym.

Tommy2

Über Member
The polar heart rate straps are supposed to be better than the Garmin ones, a lot of people say they have problems with the Garmin straps and don't have any problems once they swap to polar.
I find the Garmin strap gives dodgy readings if it's not washed every few uses or I get really sweaty , never tried the polar though as I have a couple of Garmin ones.

I have gone through a couple of the garmin soft, chest straps. I found after about 6 months they give readings that are very high or very low and then just stop. I have now ordered a polar strap as these seem to be better.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Thanks for the advice guys. As it happened, I saw a Wahoo Tickr advertised on a local Facebook cycling group. The guy wanted £30 for it, which seemed reasonable considering the condition of the unit, it was only about 9 months old, and how much they are new. Used it for the first time on Saturday's ride and it linked up instantly with my Garmin 510. First impressions suggest it gives good reliable output.

Top Bottom