Anti-cycling hate letters in the Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Today saturday 14.11.2009

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article6916178.ece

But in total contradiction Classic FM has started playing adverts to encourage people, presumably aimed at wrinklies and air head dozy Mums and Dads who take their one kid to school in the huge BMW X5 who listen to the station, to cycle for journeys of less than 5 miles rather than take the 4x4. I nearly choked on my sesame toast and kiwi fruit juice. Normally they play intensely annoying Audi or Spec saver adverts ;).

davidg

Why wouldnt they be pro cyclist not riding on the pavement? hardly seems anti cyclist

PK99

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:

On the contrary, i would regard both these letters as legitimate complaints about the type of cycling and type of cyclist that gives us all a bad name and against whom we should all take a stand

As a 62-year-old with arthritis in my knees I am finding it increasingly difficult to leap out of the way of cyclists on the pavement. A “bump” from a cyclist could result in a broken hip or fractured skull, not just a bruise. Cyclists swerve between road and pavement to avoid red lights, cut corners and ignore traffic signals altogether. The unsuspecting pedestrian has little chance to avoid such action.
My experience of cyclists on the pavements and park pathways of London is that the pedestrian is viewed as an obstacle, to be negotiated with as little disruption as possible to the cyclist. Much ringing of bells occurs with the occasional “excuse me” as a child is clipped by handlebars, or a dog sideswiped by a wheel. A wave of the arm and they are gone. Should anyone attempt to point out the “No Cycling” sign, a flow of choice obscenities is generally thrown back.

bauldbairn

Some of the comments on this site are pretty narrowminded and ill informed. Think I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops before posting.
It just show's the mentality of the guy(David Barlow) that he stepped straight out of his house onto the pavement without looking. Has he also complained about the electric/motorised pavement cleaning machines, motorised scooters, electric wheelchairs and weedkiller spraying council quadbikers he has stepped out in front of?
No excuses if the MTB riders were speeding on the pavement - but is this the sole reason for his complaint?
As for him not wanting cyclists on towpaths - don't most councils / health authorities use this as their main selling point to encourage people to take up cycling / get fit(they do in Central Scotland, where I live).
He also mentioned most cyclists not having driving licences / insurance and didn't believe facts on RTA's not being cyclists fault. I have three full driving licences /cycle insurance and have never had an RTA.

Personally, if I ever have to use a pavement - which is rare - I always give pedestrians the right of way.
Yesterday, on a designated cycle path - I had to balance (well)behind an old couple. They point blank refused to give way(even though they had saw me, I never ring my bell) for about quarter of a mile until there was enough room for me to get by them without causing them distress, no problem, just another minute on my final time - I'll survive. You won't find me on the council / newspaper websites complaining about their manners / right to be there etc - what's the point.

As for ClassicFM adverts Crankarm? :biggrin:

Surely its bacon rolls(butties) on a Saturday morning! :tongue: - :rolleyes:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The complaints are not legitimate in the sense that it's the same old "we live in London, everywhere is like us" I'm sick of hearing.

My Dad is very much like the letter

Sir, As a 62-year-old with arthritis in my knees I am finding it increasingly difficult to leap out of the way of cyclists on the pavement (letter, Nov 12). A “bump” from a cyclist could result in a broken hip or fractured skull, not just a bruise. Cyclists swerve between road and pavement to avoid red lights, cut corners and ignore traffic signals altogether. The unsuspecting pedestrian has little chance to avoid such action.

funnily enough you know what he complains about the most? Hell's grannies and pavement parking/driving. He's been injured before by people on the largest size of hell's granny.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
..have to be honest, I kind of agree with the letters. I left a comment myself (at the dinlow that didnt beleive the official stats and research, and driving licenses)

I heard the same ad on Classic FM myself. :smile:

Top Bottom