Anti rust paints, sprays and ungents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not wishing to derail Lord Accy Creighton-Smythe's CBE's thread any further I thought it best to start another.

So what is your favourite automotive rust prevention product, and why?

johnnyb47

Guru
There's an old school hill billy garage just down the road from me that is always busy.Dont laugh but they regularly spray the underside of cars with just plain simple engine oil (mine included)
It's left to drip dry and it lasts for ages.My car is an old rover and knocking on 25 years old and the underside of it is perfect.

dicko

Guru
There's an old school hill billy garage just down the road from me that is always busy.Dont laugh but they regularly spray the underside of cars with just plain simple engine oil (mine included)
It's left to drip dry and it lasts for ages.My car is an old rover and knocking on 25 years old and the underside of it is perfect.

Volkswagen garages did that to the Beetle back in the day.

dicko

Guru
I use Locktite SF 7503 on metal for rustproofing it certainly works well and has lasted me ages.

IMG_2144.jpeg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

Funny you mention hillbillies, as I used to make redneck waxoyl in my Land Rover days. Candle wax flakes, machine oil and white spirit in equal measures by weight, warmed and mixed. Heated up it could then be sprayed on and you could make vast quantities for very little cash.

These days I don't have so much need of the rust ungents, only on the Volvo which is very clean. That being the case I use Lanolin spray, specifically the Buzzweld product, although I originally used Lanoguard which has now become more expensive as it has become popular.

Supremely effective, easier to apply than anything else, and doesn't form a skin that allows rust to spread unseen. There is also some interesting research into the use of lanolin as a rust preventative, particularly the way in which it encourages salt molecules to migrate away from the surface or the metal, whereas wax or bitumen type products simply hold contaminants against the metal .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aquasteel, nuf said.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I had a Cortina which didn't need anyone to spray oil underneath

To be fair, it might have been because I used a jack under the sump to lift it enough to replace the engine mounts. Needed the engine out to replace the sump unfortunately. I did it at my caving club with a block and tackle from a tree branch. "What if it's not finished Sunday ?" didn't even occur to me as I was pretty gung ho in those days

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

That's what a lot of garages used to do back in 70's

Top Bottom