"Anti spin" cranksets - do they exist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Van Nick

Last week, whilst out on my bike, my chain suddenly jumped out of gear and came off and the resistance against which I was pedalling was suddenly no longer there.

The result was that I came off, hitting the middle of the lane (with cars behind), sustaining bruised ribs, and skinned right shoulder, elbow and knee.

It was all very painful, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

By pure coincidence, our local post girl was telling me that exactly the same thing had recently happened to her whilst out on her round and she showed me the stitches around her eye.

This got me wondering if there is a crankset on the market, that does not spin if a gear slips, the chain breaks or comes off for some reason whenever the resistence suddenly stops.

Maybe it could work on some sort of ratchet system.

I'd be interested in any thoughts that people might have.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
To the best of my knowledge, there isn't such a device. I don't think that I'd want one as the consequences of it failing and locking on are just as bad as those of a chain slip.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think you would be better off working out why your bike throws its chain. There are things like chain keepers and Dog Fangs that might help a specific problem.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
My shins would look a lot better if something like this had been invented when i was BMXing.

I can think of several BB's that have seized solid stopping cranks spin freely, but unfortunately this never coincided with a chain snapping :wacko:

Top Bottom