Antihistamines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That stuff had been around for a long time. I got prescribed it as a kid with antihistamine tablets. Stopped them after they gave me nosebleeds. Seriously bad for that. Most of the nasal sprays for allergies do that for me.
Yes, that's one of the side-effects warnings. Reasonable to be made aware of it, as medium to long term topical use of any steroid will change the tissue its used on. If I only need to use one squirt once a month, for a few months each year, I shan't worry much about it.

Yes, that's one of the side-effects warnings. Reasonable to be made aware of it, as medium to long term topical use of any steroid will change the tissue its used on. If I only need to use one squirt once a month, for a few months each year, I shan't worry much about it.

One squirt a day I reckon... Not sure one a month would be terribly effective... :laugh:

I was a long-term user for a chronic sinus issue, but these days I find I manage well if I use the spray only when I have flare-ups, and simply use half a tab of cetirizine to keep the hayfever under control. I don't really remember having nose bleeds, but sometimes the stuff didn't half sting...

One squirt a day I reckon... Not sure one a month would be terribly effective... :laugh:

I was a long-term user for a chronic sinus issue, but these days I find I manage well if I use the spray only when I have flare-ups, and simply use half a tab of cetirizine to keep the hayfever under control. I don't really remember having nose bleeds, but sometimes the stuff didn't half sting...
My hayfever/allergic rhinitis/whatever it is is very mild nowadays and has been getting milder as I get older. It was horrendous when I was a teenager; back then there was only the 'sleepy' antihistamine available which meant either be so sleepy or have a nose running like a tap and sneezing sessions fit to burst and very disruptive for self and others ... I suspect nowadays you'd get special allowances for at least some part of the GCSE and A-level exams, but we just had to battle on ... one girl who was even more badly affected than any of the rest of us, with asthma all through summer, got special dispensation to do hers at the time usually permitted only for re-sits, ie in November, but that was considered very drastic and exceptional.

The past few years I've found that a week's course of almost any antihistamine at the start of the season (need to catch it before the allergic reaction gets a chance to ramp up, as it were) will give me good control for an extended period (maybe just taking a tablet occasionally when the pollen count's extra high) and then another week of tablets after a couple of months and repeat once again to see me through the summer ie February - April - June or thereabouts.
It seems this spray will be even better at a rate of a sniff a month or so; I have to say that I prefer it to the tablet-taking. I used it twice early in February and I've not had the tell-tale allergic 'tickles' until today, slightly. I'll see how it goes the next couple of days but one sniff every six weeks or so is OK by me!

I used to work with a woman who had allergies so bad she was taking 4 branded antihistamines a day and still had continuous runny nose and often sneezed hard in 10 to 15 sneeze bursts at the height of her pollen allergy season. She found anything other than the main brand version gave her a sore throat on top of the rest of the symptoms.

The nasal spray for me can take just one or two sprays to trigger a nose bleed. They're not just a quick one but bleed and bleeds for some time! Not nice. Must admit the bleed itself doesn't bother me as much as not knowing if I'm walking around with a bloody nose on show if there's no m mirror to check and clean myself up properly. Now I use selfie camera if course but not back then as they weren't available.

Top Bottom