Any advice for a beginner buying an old Racer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

admarlow

Due to some advice from people of this forum (thanks guys:biggrin:) I have decided to buy an old racer/road bike from ebay. I can't really afford more that 80 pounds at the moment (i know, sad isn' it! ha ha). Does anyone have any advice for me, on what to look for or avoid? Thanks in advance.

Adam

As a basis you should look for 531 steel for the frame (prob Raleigh!)- this stands for Reynolds 531 which was originally developed before the War and was the mainstay of cycles until Aluminium etc came along in the late 80's.

Make sure you know your correct size and ask as to the condition. If they have been stood unused then it may be a matter of a little TLC to get them rolling - the bikes back then were generally made of heavy but hard wearing components.

This is something like - although as you can see it is in demand because of the make and Campag components.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAWES-ECHELON...K_Bikes_GL?hash=item45f11b96ee#ht_1049wt_1165

gbb

Legendary Member
If you're buying off ebay you have to rely almost soley on the photos supplied, which wont tell you much.
If i were buying one locally i'd want to look at the chainset and cassette particually for wear. If they're worn, you face some reasonable expense sooner rather than later.

If i were to buy off ebay, i'd ask the seller some detailed questions...
What size wheels ? Older racers can have 27 inch wheels, the newer 700's are easier to replace.
Is there any corrosion on the frame, particually near or on the lugs/bosses.
Are the wheels true.
Do the gears work correctly and smoothly.
I'd try to get detailed photos of the chainset and cassette...look for sharks teeth that'd indicate wear. To be fair, older racers tend to be 5,6 or 7 speed...whose geartrains tend to go on forever.
Is the seatpost free ?...if its siezed, you may have a world of pain just getting the seat adjusted so you can ride it.

And so on....but i'd work on the principle if you asked those questions then got a bummer, you'd have a good case with ebay.

If you're lucky admarlow, you can pick up a good stong machine for £80.
Have you tried Friday Ads in your area ?
Open the link, refine it to your town then look in the bicycles section
http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/?gclid=CLKYlcCiiaACFR-Y2Aod0Dt5mA
Ive seen some good bikes locally to me once in a while...no reason it shouldnt be the same in your area.

gbb

Legendary Member
accountantpetes right, if you can get a 531 framed bike, so much the better. Renolds 501 is fine but not quite as good...
Even some chromo frames are 'ok'. I had a Raleigh chimera chromo framed racer, 8 speed Sora...it was a fine bike for the money, virtually indestrucable.

OP
OP
A

admarlow

Thank you everyone for you time

Top Bottom