Any advice on 3 unusual vintage cycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Thank you for the up dated pictures .
"Generally speaking shaft drive bicycles start been made from the 1900 onwards .They first appeared in France .Indeed Frenchman Gaston Rive're won the Bordeaux - Paris race on one in three consective time ,1896 ,1997 & 1898 ..
In the USA the first shaft drive bicycles appeared around 1900 combined with 2 or 3 hub gears .
Shaft drive again reappeared in the 1990s ."
Information on the shaft drive was sourced from Michael Embachers book Cyclepedia.

As said you have three rare bicycles .
Lots about Columbia here.
https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1898-pope-mfg-columbia-chainless-shaft-drive/

More on your shaft drive here.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/384570-dayton-cycles-ohio.html

Check them over mechanically and enjoy riding them . On a vintage ride they would steel the show .

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Do both sets of handlebars turn the forks?
Are the wooden wheels 28 inch, with solid tyres?

Dates from 1890 to 1900.

classic33

Leg End Member
From Harper's Weekly, 1897.

Publication date, 29th May 1897.

Last edited:
OP
OP

321GOJO

Thanks for all your kind replies. I’m wondering if the Cinelli is rare. Ser# 6240 stamped on the bottom crank group.

TTSS

Über Member
Personally, I think bike number 2 is the rarest. I bet there's quite a few people over there would be interested in that.

Most of the nice head tube badges of that era were removed by collectors so that one can be identified and dated fairly easily by an enthusiast me thinks.

OP
OP

321GOJO

Personally, I think bike number 2 is the rarest. I bet there's quite a few people over there would be interested in that.

Most of the nice head tube badges of that era were removed by collectors so that one can be identified and dated fairly easily by an enthusiast me thinks.
Yeah theses seem fairly intact. The Columbia (shaft) has a faint stamp on the stem.
88A55E33-4006-43B8-AA03-7E3D2E847C02.jpeg

bagpuss

Guru
Does the handle bar stem on the Cinelli have a badge like this . It could also a brass
1649747215791.png

1649747276269.png

Top Bottom