Any advice on removing this stupid design of BB other than hitting it with a hammer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Never struggled with a non drive side cup removal can't see why the nut and bolt wouldn't work the same

Gunk

Guru
Find 2 x slim screwdrivers that just fit the holes. Or even nails.

Insert them in the holes opposite one another.

Then use a large screwdriver between the two as a lever to twist the cup off.

I’ve used this method with two wood nails knocked into a piece of wood, you can then use a breaker bar to spin it off

cheys03

Veteran
Extreme, but if it really must come out…

Find a friend or garage that will weld a big nut or retired socket on for a small fee.
MIG welding ideal, as there should be minimal paint damage with protection.

The bonus is the process will get it nice and hot too - hopefully breaking any bond

Almost no way it can resist then

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Never struggled with a non drive side cup removal can't see why the nut and bolt wouldn't work the same

It will work either side, I just didn't think of tightening it from the 'other' side (inside the BB shell), which I will need to do because it's non drive side.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Coincidentally last weekend I removed the tightest bottom bracket I have ever encountered. It was a £10 bike so I had nothing to loose by heating it from underneath with a Propane Torch wearing PPE for 5 minutes. 15 seconds after turning off the torch I had the BB removed. It was clear that some water had got into the first few threads and it had seized due to rust.

Surprisingly the metallic silver paintwork remains perfect 😕

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
The wretched thing still isn't out - I have a bolt with a 19mm head because that's the largest one I could get a tool onto through the BB (I'm using one of those four ended wheel braces) but there isn't much contact between the bolt and the cup - so I put a big washer on too, but that has bent to the shape of the cup and now there isn't enough contact with the wheel brace to tighten it without it slipping off.

I'll give it another go without the washer and then I'll try getting hold of a bigger nut and bolt in LH thread (so there is more contact) - the bolts on my tow bar have a 24mm head, for reference, but obviously are not left handed.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Well?

Was using the nut & bolt trick when I was a kid back in the 1980s, it worked then and works now. I always found one of my dad's towball mounting bolts was a pretty good fit (He never did work out why we lost that caravan on the way to Skegness.... :laugh: ).

Surely you've got it out by now?

Delayed update. It was no match for an angle grinder, drift and big hammer.

Top Bottom