Any and all advice much appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah, and on the points of saddles, everyone's bum is different. The trick is to find a saddle that's the right width AND the right shape. There's lots of inexpensive saddles out there, but ideally, it's best to avoid the very wide, very squishy jobs as they will start to pinch in places that are better of without being pinched. Counterintuitive I know, but if your lad is spending a large part of the day in the saddle, then this is worth getting right. There is nothing more miserable than the pain caused by a poorly fitting saddle.

As a lady rider, I can't really recommend a saddle for a bloke, but it's easy to measure up your bum (sit on a sheet of tin foil!) and then go looking for something the right width. Having said that, something like a Charge Spoon / Madison Flux (they are the same saddle bar some cosmetic differences) seems to work for most people going by the chat on here. I ride on the ladies' version of the same.

You move a good saddle from old bike to new bike.

Hello Jackie

You haven't said where you are, but a wanted ad up here might help. We all have too many bikes.

If you're near Derby, I have a couple of bikes that might work, and I'm having a clearout. I have a decent mountain bike he can have for £30. It wants nothing - I fixed it because I don't like to see a bike go to waste but I've never actually used it.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
No doubt lots of good advice on here already, a few points:

Used bikes are currently very much a buyer's market; entry-level road bikes especially (although these don't sound ideal) but I suspect the price of hybrids is taking a similar beating. I have a thread on used prices here, if it's of any interest.

I'd strongly advise against leaving anything nice / new / branded locked up for any length of time - scumbags will have anything.

Personally in your situation I'd be looking at used hybrids in the £50-150 range - should get you something serviceable and not too theftworthy.

Lots more to be said but I'm sure everyone else has this covered - good luck ;)

Top Bottom