Any bike recommendations?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jemmavictoria

I'm stumped. I've been enjoying riding my husband's Trek road bike for the last couple of weeks but at 58cm, its too big for me - I'm 5'7" or 170cm.

So, I'm on the hunt for a bike for myself but with a limited budget of £400 I'm looking on the secondhand market.

So which bikes would you recommend for someone who just wants to get out and enjoy herself? I also live in a hilly area so need a good set of gears!

My local Specialized store suggested a 54cm Allez which seems spot on but keen to have others to compare to.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think you'll get an Allez for four hundred notes, not new anyway.
I should trawl your local ads on Gumtree to see what's available. There's a load of other brands which compete with Specialized so see what you can turn up. Just make sure it's in good order and with no crash damage.
@vickster will have some suggestions for you I'm sure.

IMG_20221205_194204.jpg
Spotted this Allez in Reading for £500 on Gumtree. Near to you? It's a 21" which they call large , near as dammit a 54.
Seems kosher (not stolen), frame no on Bike Register.

Edit: As Vicky says 54 may be a bit big for you. I have an old Trek in that size and I'm over six-foot, although too small for me it works.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Giant/LIv Avail offers good second hand value in a WSD design. Medium for your height. Sone of the earlier models had a triple chainset for the hills.
Definitely try for size, if you’re a typically longer leg to shorter torso woman, I think a 54cm top tube could be a bit stretched (I’m 5’9.5 and all my bikes are 54/55cm TT with a 100/90mm stem)

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Since you're looking at the 2nd hand market, the search is sort of reversed - instead of going for a specific brand/model/specific size/ colour/etc., you should see what's available for your budget locally and if it fits your criteria.

I also live in a hilly area so need a good set of gears!

I have a Dawes Horizon for sale in the classifieds that would be a good fit for you. I only want £60! Needs new cables but even then, that's a lot of money for other stuff! A new equivalent would be at least £1000.

It's 54cm, but pre-compact geometry - modern bikes like the Allez are made in far fewer sizes, they just swap out stems and seatposts to fit everyone. The measurement that's really important is actually the length of the top tube - if it is too long it will never be comfortable.

There's a lot of good stuff out there but even if you want something other than my lovely purple Dawes secondhand is definitely the way to go. Bikes are simply not worth that much anymore.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
See if you’ve a local bike reselling project. They service and bring donated bikes back to usable condition.
Often ran supporting people with social problems back into work. Good around project worth supporting. They may have something to suit at a good price.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Shame you are not taller as I have an almost nos Triban 3 in a large size oh it's the red model.

IMG_20221118_120619369.jpg

IMG_20221118_120721553.jpg

davidphilips

Veteran
Used bikes have came down a lot this last few months so you should be able to get a very good bike for that, just take your time and have someone that knows how to check over a bike accompany you to view as parts and repairs are still quite expensive. Asfor make and groupset etc only my view but less important than one thats the right size and you like the look off?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boslRs4BfwY

Top Bottom