Any car salesman out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
One year ago my wife got a brand new car on a Personal Contract Purchase on a 4 year agreement. She told me this morning that she doesn't like the car any more as she finds it too small.
My questions are:
- can she stop the agreement and get another car ?
- does she have to stay with the same car manufacturer?
- will she be penalised for doing so?
Thank you in advance for your valued replies.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I have one.

On mine you can hand it back at any time at no cost or buy it for an agreed price on signing after the term ends. The only penalty is is you are over the mileage limit and any damage beyond wear and tear for the time.

If she hands it in she can go wherever she likes for the next car.

However check your contract.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
this is a similar question to one we asked about 6 months ago , yes you can hand it back BUT at a cost so be warned and check with your provider before deciding

we found it very costly so didnt go ahead

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
One year ago my wife got a brand new car on a Personal Contract Purchase on a 4 year agreement. She told me this morning that she doesn't like the car any more as she finds it too small.
My questions are:
- can she stop the agreement and get another car ?
- does she have to stay with the same car manufacturer?
- will she be penalised for doing so?
Thank you in advance for your valued replies.
It depends entirely on the contract. Read it and decide.

This was a service provided by srw consumer advice services, for which there will be a fee. PM me for details.

mustang1

Guru
When you get a car with PCP, the initial depreciation is greater than it is towards the end of the contract. Typically if you want to change cars after just one year of a 4 year lease, you're looking at a lot more depreciation so it's likely the cost to get out of the PCP is higher than (for example) after three years (of a 4y contract).

Having said that, if you really don't like the car then cut your losses short and get one you do like. In my book, there's no point paying off something that you don't like and its better to take the hit.

That's how it generally works but like the others said, check your contract. What I normally do is not to check the contract but just talk to the finance guy and they explain what I need to pay.

Edit typo

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As has been said, it depends on the terms of your agreement. If it's with a manufacturer / dealer group it's more likely that they'll let you upgrade to something different although you'll probably be tied in to whatever range they offer.

Top Bottom