Any Computer techie knowledgeable folk to advise me please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have a Windows Laptop that at Microsoft's suggestion I updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11. No problems.
I wish to 'pass on' this laptop. I will need to use the ' built in' Recovery procedure to delete all my data and restore the laptop to it's supplied new state.
Ok, now the question. I assume this will restore the laptop to Windows 10. ? Will the new owner be given the oppotunity to upgrade again to Windows 11.
I have 'scoured' various techie boards but can find no references to this.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
pretty sure even if it doesn't auto trigger they can go straight to here...
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
and download the upgrade assistant and follow the process...

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The image on the recovery partition will be W10 so yes, if you reset it I'd expect it go back to this. I'd also expect the new owner to suffer the same poking to "upgrade" to W11. Personally I hate it, and the new owner might welcome the choice.

Thank you guys for your replies, we do not have a concensus it seems 😀 but I am sufficiently emboldened to 'plunge in headfirst' and use the recovery partition.
There's no consensus required. If the upgrade was done more than 10 days ago, it's a Win 11 machine pure and simple. The Windows.old directory will have been deleted. The image will have been updated to 11 on upgrade. Even inside 10 days, it would reset to Win 11. To go back to Win 10, you have to a) be within those 10 days, and b) specifically instigate a rollback to Win 10. A reset does not do this.
Edited: typo

Last edited:
Top Bottom