Any GERD sufferers in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Gastroesophageal reflux disease, if you weren't aware of the acronym. Though if you weren't, you're probably not!

How long can a bout last for you?

I ask because I've become to wonder if I might have a issue with it. For a while now, I've had issues with chest discomfort. My heart has been checked out and, after a worrying misdiagnosis, given the all clear. Recently, I've become aware of a reliable trigger - that is, alcohol. Christmas and NY were typically boozy affairs (though I don't drink a great deal as a rule) so I didn't really associate booze with the chest discomfort that followed that. Then, mid Jan, I had a couple of G&T's one evening and, bang, the days that followed were beset with that familiar tight chest feeling. It subsided and I abstained from alcohol again, but the coincidence struck me. So, a couple of nights back, I decided that as I was feeling fit and fine, I'd conduct an experiment on myself, so partook of a couple of glasses of beer (not pints mind). The day after, chest discomfort sets in around midday and has stayed with me. It'll probably subside again tomorrow. BUT... do the symptoms of GERD last that long? That is, three days?

Of course, I'll ask my doc when I see them next month for a regular repeat prescription of blood pressure meds but I just wondered of other peoples experiences of it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, if you weren't aware of the acronym. Though if you weren't, you're probably not!

How long can a bout last for you?

I ask because I've become to wonder if I might have a issue with it. For a while now, I've had issues with chest discomfort. My heart has been checked out and, after a worrying misdiagnosis, given the all clear. Recently, I've become aware of a reliable trigger - that is, alcohol. Christmas and NY were typically boozy affairs (though I don't drink a great deal as a rule) so I didn't really associate booze with the chest discomfort that followed that. Then, mid Jan, I had a couple of G&T's one evening and, bang, the days that followed were beset with that familiar tight chest feeling. It subsided and I abstained from alcohol again, but the coincidence struck me. So, a couple of nights back, I decided that as I was feeling fit and fine, I'd conduct an experiment on myself, so partook of a couple of glasses of beer (not pints mind). The day after, chest discomfort sets in around midday and has stayed with me. It'll probably subside again tomorrow. BUT... do the symptoms of GERD last that long? That is, three days?

Of course, I'll ask my doc when I see them next month for a regular repeat prescription of blood pressure meds but I just wondered of other peoples experiences of it.

Never heard it called a disease I have similar issues.
I was struggling to swallow solids. Had a camera down my throat and found the oesophagus was burned due to acid.
They put me on omeprazol and the relief was immediate.

DRHysted

Guru
I’ve been diagnosed with GORD and after investigations to check it wasn’t anything else am now on permanent medication.
The main things I’m not allowed, Alcohol, Fruit juices, High caffeinated drinks, there are others.
A simple test is to see if chewing teeth whitening chewing gum eases it.

Over the Ord

My issue was the rich food at Xmas & New Year that would trigger indigestion and it would take about 3 months to settle down, after one bad year I went to GP and was diagnosed with Barrett oesophagus and prescribed omeprazol (have been on others similar medication) and I get a camera down to the stomach every 2 years to monitor the damage.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I’ve had the reflux thing and taking some cider Apple vinegar sorts it out.

Now there's a coincidence, I started taking cider vinegar a few weeks backs, remembering it was advised for something or other, but had no recollection of exactly what! Maybe my body was whispering reminders!

A few tablespoon duly just taken, I'll see what happens.

OP
OP
Y

yello

My issue was the rich food at Xmas & New Year that would trigger indigestion and it would take about 3 months to settle down, after one bad year I went to GP and was diagnosed with Barrett oesophagus and prescribed omeprazol (have been on others similar medication) and I get a camera down to the stomach every 2 years to monitor the damage.

It's been quite surprising to me, from the reading I've done this morning, how much damage apparent indigestion/heartburn can actually cause/be. There is, of course, just occasional indigestion or heartburn that everyone gets from time to time, and then there's the more serious end of the scale... I guess knowing when it's crossed the line is key, and something lasting 3 months (or on constant repeat) would kinda set red flags waving.

I believe the oesophagus can heal, over time, with the right medication but I guess that's case by case.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you remember what other things were checked out?

My mother has reflux due to a hiatus hernia (a friend of mine also had reflux due to hernias).

DRHysted

Guru
Do you remember what other things were checked out?

No, it came to light when we were trying to get my asthma under control, GORD can trigger asthma. I’m on Omeprazole, but had to have the camera down the stomach to check nothing else was going wrong.

matth411

Veteran
Kind of similar, but also not at all...

I was diagnosed with Achalasia 19 years ago, meaning that the bottom part of my oesophagus doesn't relax. Had an operation to try sort it after being 7stone at age 14, kinda worked kinda didnt.

Anyway, GERD/GORD (the E is for American spelling) is a constant bane of my life. Alcohol plays a role if it's a short. Can just about handle pints. Whiskey and other strong tasting spirits cause instantaneous reflux. Any spicy food the same, and strangely some fizzy drinks. Fanta fruit twist decimates me but coke doesn't.

One of the biggest changes I made when realising what caused symptoms was not sleeping on my right hand side, this due to how the stomach and oesophagus are line up. Also found salty foods like ready salted crisps help but dont alleviate unless paired with something like a rennie.

One that may just be because of the underlying achalasia, is an antihistamine helps quite a bit too.

Top Bottom