Any good cycle toolkit recomendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Make up a basic kit; screwdrivers / combination spanners / set of hex keys / pliers / spoke keys etc. then add good quality tools as & when you need them. Agree with other posters, always invest in good quality tools; Park, Pedro, as cheap ones can end up causing damage to components on the bike. Some items like a chain whip may only be used occasionally, but when you need one, they save a lot of messing about - ! :thumbsup:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I do have a lot of regard for the Aldi tool set sold as Bike Mate in the States. We don't get nearly the cycle equipment you all do, but this one, and the bike stand, have been great. I also have a good socket set from Aldi which has made a need for Allen, Torx, and other tools unnecessary. When I do up a shop area, I may consider replacing with Snap-On, but in the States, Snap-On is available mostly by having the dealer come to you, like Matco. Cycling tools I often get from Amazon, or Park. Good quality tools can make a job go faster and better.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bike specific tools are used so infrequently for 99% of us that it's not worth spending too much on them
Given that the title of this CycleChat thread is "Any good cycle toolkit recomendations?" that's rather 'throw away' comment, don't you think? I suggest that rather more than 1% of the readers of " Bicycle Mechanics & Repairs " are using bike-specific tools frequently. And the OP (Paul) has asked for suggestions on the latter. He already has "some general tools eg. Socket set & wrench, Spanners, Adjustable Spanner, screw drivers etc."
If money is no object see @Pale Rider comment. Otherwise I reckon that you're best off getting an economic basic kit (like the one linked in comments above, or the Lidl/Aldi equivalent) and use the tools therein to make sure this isn't a 'all the gear and no idea' motive. This is much better value-for-money than buying tools which are rarely used (though some in the kit will not get use - depends on ages of bikes eg BB type, headset type). A rider is then in a better place to identify particular tools which they'd want at a better quality. Imo a reasonable chain tool is worth getting (as @BalkanExpress says, a kit one won't last long). Also a Spokey spoke key.
1579872819796.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Topeak ComboTorq wrench for the small stuff, usually on offer somewhere under £15.

Draper 34487 beam wrench for the bigger stuff like bottom brackets, usually about £12.

Just remember to store them unloaded and they'll last years.

A good (thin but solid, soft-handled and decent length) pedal spanner is a joy, too. I have a Planet X Jobsworth one which is fine.

Mike_P

Guru
Aside from the pathetic spanner like things the one weak thing in the Aldi tool kit is IME the crank puller which all too quickly de-threads and a Park Tool one is a must IMO. Good things to get hold of are JIS1 & 2 screwdrivers that will fit high low gear screws etc properly

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Do any limit screws still not take a straight screwdriver too?
Yes but they will eventually start to chew the screw head. Always best to use the correct type of screwdriver for the screw albeit it's not always obvious what is, always puzzled me why there is hardly ever any obvious marking on a screwhead indicating whether its Philips, Pozi, JIS etc

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Yes but they will eventually start to chew the screw head. Always best to use the correct type of screwdriver for the screw albeit it's not always obvious what is, always puzzled me why there is hardly ever any obvious marking on a screwhead indicating whether its Philips, Pozi, JIS etc
Pozi has a square in the middle & is more square cut.
Philips doesn't^ and is narrower & deeper than pozi
JIS looks like philips with a Dot/punch mark between the arms of the (+.) in one corner

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom