Any harmonica players?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I fancy a go at a bit of harp
grin.gif

Are they easy? any recommended ones for a beginner?

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Panter said:
I fancy a go at a bit of harp
grin.gif

Are they easy? any recommended ones for a beginner?

Yes, yes , yes love the harp, really great sound . Still learning the basics, myself but still enjoying it lessons on the net and a n inexpensive instrument to get in to. Really great to hear of some one else liking it.

Try harpjam.com to hear some nice harp music and buy a Hohner special 20 for your first harp. I think I got mine from Amazon. Your looking at about £25.00 for a harp and maybe some more for tuition booklets DVD's etc.

Let me know if you find anything new and enjoy the experiance and making music.

Not sure I find it easy I love music but have always found it difficult to play instruments, the harp is a simple thing to play and the results can be almost instant, bending notes is good fun and once you have had a go you will realise how simple it is!:biggrin:

Enjoy David.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fab Foodie said:
My sister plays the mouth-organ... Our Monica that is...

Sighs..... :blush:

djtheglove said:
Yes, yes , yes love the harp, really great sound . Still learning the basics, myself but still enjoying it lessons on the net and a n inexpensive instrument to get in to. Really great to hear of some one else liking it.

Try harpjam.com to hear some nice harp music and buy a Hohner special 20 for your first harp. I think I got mine from Amazon. Your looking at about £25.00 for a harp and maybe some more for tuition booklets DVD's etc.

Let me know if you find anything new and enjoy the experiance and making music.

Not sure I find it easy I love music but have always found it difficult to play instruments, the harp is a simple thing to play and the results can be almost instant, bending notes is good fun and once you have had a go you will realise how simple it is!:smile:

Enjoy David.

Fabulous, thanks David, I'll let you know how I get on :biggrin:

Mr Pig

Cool. I was thinking about getting my daughter one :0) I was listening to early Stevie Wonder the other week and wondering why the harmonica isn't more popular, I can't think of the last time I heard a new band using one.

Know what to put on the Christmas list now ;0)

col

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Just had a look at those harmonicas, they come in all different keys! Which one should I get?

Iv got mine somewhere, but if I remember rightly its best to get one in C to learn on.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Oh, forgot to add:

Whilst I was going a load of googling, I found some refernces to doctors recommending harmonica's to increase diaphram strength. It's Win-win :blush:

This guy seems prety good, there's a lot of him on youtube :smile:

Mr Pig

col said:
I remember rightly its best to get one in C to learn on.

Thank you :0) I think it will appeal to her, she loves music but lacks the confidence to try 'proper' instruments so maybe she'll like something that's more intuitive to play.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Mr Pig said:
Thank you :0) I think it will appeal to her, she loves music but lacks the confidence to try 'proper' instruments so maybe she'll like something that's more intuitive to play.

Hi , I forgot to mention it should be in "C" I believe the professionals have a case full of all the keys, but to learn on that's the one you want.

Oh and the web site I sometimes listen to for inspiration is Harmonicajam.com not harpjam!

I enjoy the feeling it gives me when I play I have had a lot of trouble with a collapsed lung in the past and the deep breathing that is required to play the Harp has really helped. You have to play from deep down in the belly so good posture is required. So ye it's good if you can make a nice sound and get some exercise at the same time.:?:

Don't worry if it sounds like a strangled cat at the beginning. If you go through the lessons and do the breathing and get your mouth shape correct, then the notes will start becoming cleaner. I have found the more relaxed I am then the better the noise and once I can make a decent noise then I can allow my imagination to wander and the songs start emerging from within, it all has to come from within, Ispend some time trying to replicate songs that I love that have harp in them, TBH it very rarely works but what can happen is that something else emerges, that is from my own lips(literally):wacko:

Enjoy David.

derall

Guru
I did learn quite a few years ago. I got a Chromatic Harp in G after hearing the great Jean 'Toots' Thielman playing Jazz Harp. Also had a C, D, E and G Cross Harps that were great for the blues. Got so that I could play a fair tune, but didn't have time to keep it going. Still have them in a box somewhere. Must dig them out and have a go again.

Top Bottom