Any New Forest locals care to suggest a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Gti Junior and I are visiting family in Downton and Salisbury in two weeks and will be taking the roadies. I see that Downton is on the northerly edge of the New Forest and we are both looking forward to riding somewhere completely different from our usual stamping ground.

GTiJ is 15 and has speed but not much stamina so we would like to do something around 30-40 miles taking in a couple of points of interest plus a cafe stop. Can anybody suggest a nice circuit starting and finishing in Downton? We will be borrowing the OS 1:50,000 map from my 84 y.o. Mum who is a local Ramblers' walking leader.

Edit: Sorry.. it's Downton SP5, near Salisbury.

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Assuming you're on road bikes & you want to avoid the main road (A338) its a little uphill out of Downton into the forest but you could try the route below with a cafe stop in Burley:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/7679520

There are a couple of hills involved. ^_^

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry Numbnuts - see my edit - it's Downton SP5 about five miles south of Salisbury, on the northern edge of the Forest.

Berties

Fast and careful!
at the crossroads at the top of the village sign posted the moot head towards wood green all the roads here head up the hill either to roger penny way via the fighting cocks this takes you any where in the forest or head away from the forest towards alderbury here you can head out to the test valley or pick up the cycle path route 23 towards warminster or romsey ,
a good round route would be through the moot to wood green up the high street to the fighting cocks through gods hill pit,left along the way be careful with here the road is slow but always windy some great views ,down to nomandsland cross the a36 with care ,look on the map for wellow there is a ice-cream parlour called carlos,turn towards awbridge,crossing the a27,then lockerly then west dean via the old navy bomb dump,then onto west grimsted then alderbury and back to downton ,there are loads of variations,
good luck have a good time

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not a full route suggestion but more points of interest - you should be in range of Bolderwoood and Rhinefield Ornamental drives. Bolderwoood is a nice descent south to cross the a35, while Rhinefield takes you most of the way on to Brockenhurst. Both are very pretty. If you want a short break, stop and check out the arboretum along Rhinefield, especially the 'baby' giant redwoods. they're mahoosive!

General point is try to avoid the weekend if you can, especially if the weather is good. It shouldn't be mental as the kids are back at school, but the NF is generally more pleasant when it's quiet. Also remember that the 40 mph blanket limit is for TOURISTS ONLY. Locals, especially local plumbers and builders, are completely exempt.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom