W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@ColinJ Any insider info?

Depends where you are staying in Pecket Well. There is more than one way into HB. The main road has a footpath in parts, and no footpath in others. Remember to walk on the side of the road facing the oncoming traffic when there is no footpath.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a path that will take you down past "Little Stoodley", away from the road altogether.

Worth noting that the Valley is on flood alert again, from yesterday until the end of the week.

classic33

Leg End Member
Google maps doesn't appear to show the path, do you know where in Peckett Well you join it?
Around Black Hill, the right hand bend.
IMG_20200812_112518.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another nice walk is to head to Old Town first along the lane from Pecket Well. I'm on my phone now. I will suggest where to go from there once I am back on my laptop.

I agree about the flood risk but at least you would be above any valley flooding if it happens again.

More later...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't forget that the Calder Valley is still an 'area of concern' wrt Coronavirus. I rode through Hebden Bridge at 7:30 pm yesterday in the sunshine and crowds at some of the pubs clearly felt that 'social distance' = thickness of sheet of paper! :wacko:

People DO walk down the the road from PW to HB - I encountered some the other day - and it isn't too bad when traffic levels are low, but the alternatives are safer and more pleasant.

The bridleway mentioned above (red arrow below) takes you down to Midgehole Rd. You can turn left on that and head directly into HB (yellow arrow) but there is a nicer alternative of a walk along Hebden Water - turn right on Midgehole Rd and almost immediately follow the path down to the left (purple arrow). That takes you to a footbridge over Hebden Water and a nice walk into the outskirts of the town. Don't do the riverside walk if there is any imminent risk of flooding!!

The bridleway down from PW forks after 200 metres. Hebden Bridge is the left fork. Right fork takes you down towards the entrance to local beauty spot Hardcastle Crags. There are lovely walks in the woods and if you go far enough you will come to Gibson Mill. There is a museum there which is closed due to the virus, but the cafe is still open (details HERE).

Instead of going into Hardcastle Crags, you could turn left just before the entrance and head round by the Blue Pig (probably not open due to the virus?) and take a bridleway up to the old village of Heptonstall.

If you choose to go along Akroyd Lane towards Old Town there are fine views of the Calder Valley, Heptonstall etc.

After 700 metres, the lane bends to the left but you can descend a path leading down to the right. (Footpath sign circled in red below.)

If you fancy going to a country pub with spectacular views, continue along through Old Town to the Hare and Hounds at Chiserley. NB They have rooms available for certain dates!

classic33

Leg End Member
Put out by the council earlier today.
Screenshot_2020-08-13-14-39-07.png

Some employees appear to have been given a bit more detail on what will be included this afternoon.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just an update, a good two day break was had (never stopped raining mind!!). Lots of walking by day, beer by night! Highly recommend the food at the Old Gate.

As someone who lives in relatively flat West Cheshire I doff my cap to those of you who cycle the area around Hebden / Halifax etc, you are never far from the next incline!
Glad you got the break and you enjoyed it. Despite the rain.

Top Bottom