Any opinions of Varta 1 Watt LED Sports Head Light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What d'you want it for? Irritatingly they don't quote lumens, but this webpage sells LEnser LED torches which are quoted as having 1.25 Watt beams. I've got a Lenser keyring torch and it is superbly bright, so I'd imagine their head torches are equally as good.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Lumen claims are often just claims. They just quote from the LED manufacturer's spec sheet, regardless of whether the LED is actually run at full power.

"Boost" mode on the Petzl is a brief shot of higher power, after which the power is reduced to avoid overheating the LED.
LEDs generally have more problems with heat than old halogen bulbs. Of the power going into a halogen, 10% comes out as light, 85% comes out as infra red radiation, and 5% heats up the light itself. Of the power going into an LED, maybe 40% comes out as light, 0.5% comes out as infra red, and the rest is used to heat up the light. If you then put the LED in a lightweight but non thermally conductive plastic housing, the LED can get hot enough to burn out if you try running it too bright.

OP
OP
siadwell

siadwell

Guru
Browser said:
What d'you want it for?

I currently use a Cateye front light (which is OK for being seen but not seeing) plus a low power head torch (which helps a bit).

I thought for 18 quid this might provide enough light to make after dark riding in the country feasible, without spending a lot on high-power lights.

Fenix/DX torch is plan B.

naemi chan

siadwell said:
Wondered if anyone has an opinion of the Varta 1 Watt LED Sports Head Light available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Varta-Watt-Sports-Head-Light/dp/B001V7925A?

I was going to buy a Gamma from Alpkit, but this Varta claims 80 lumens against the Gamma's 51, for only a few quid more.
This is a remarkable headlamp for the price. I had one given to me and I use it extensively in the Australian outback. It is the brightest and lightest I have ever used.
It has clever design and engineering features including two slide away lenses in white and red diffusion and two brightness settings. I have used many headlamps over the years for both cycling and camping out here and I honestly can't think how you would improve it, very, very impressed.

Top Bottom