Any recommendations for an additional front light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knitgirl

I cycle in London and have a Smart Lunar 10 lux at the front. I wanted an additional light to boost my confidence that others could see me in the dark, so I bought a Knog Frog Strobe. I love the design and ease of fitting. My Frog Strobe has very quickly developed a fault where it stays on constantly and I can only turn it off by taking a battery out. Not very convenient. I have read that they develop this fault but thought that I would give it a go anyway.

Was I just unlucky and should I give the Frog Strobe another go? Anyone got any recommendations for a similar light in size as I don't have much room on my handle bars what with my bell, cycle computer and original front light? I also like the ease of fitting of the Knogs.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
belated welcome to the forum knitgirl, have a look at the exposure flash ideal for riding around town

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I cycle in London and have a Smart Lunar 10 lux at the front. I wanted an additional light to boost my confidence that others could see me in the dark, so I bought a Knog Frog Strobe. I love the design and ease of fitting. My Frog Strobe has very quickly developed a fault where it stays on constantly and I can only turn it off by taking a battery out. Not very convenient. I have read that they develop this fault but thought that I would give it a go anyway.

Was I just unlucky and should I give the Frog Strobe another go? Anyone got any recommendations for a similar light in size as I don't have much room on my handle bars what with my bell, cycle computer and original front light? I also like the ease of fitting of the Knogs.

The Knogs can develop this when they let in water. I understand some of the silicone shells need to be pushed to seal them tight, and some need a little silicon grease. I use a skink for the rear and its been fine in heavy rain, 2 years running. Take them apart and letting it all air dry might solve it, if not send it back.

Both Topcat and HLab's recommendations are good ones. Depends on your budget and space on your bars too.

I have a head torch light that is fixed (but easily to put on take off...) on the Helmet, or on your head, It has 88 lumen which to me does not mean anything BUT I have used it in dark places and it did brighten up the way very well, and I dont think I need anything more bright, especially if you are in town.

What I like particualry is:

* I dont clog up the bike with mounts and can easily swap between bikes.
* It lights up where I LOOK not just where the bike is pointing to. Especailly good to look if you are tying up the bike somewhere or you drop something etc
* I can adjust the beam high/low on the path
* It has a stronger/lighter beam at the front and also a red one that flashes at the back!
* Its only £12.50!!!

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DIJXYkMRww8

OP
OP
K

knitgirl

Thanks TC for the welcome and thanks to you all for your recommendations. Downfader I will have a go at letting the knog dry out completely before investing in another light.

I have been looking today at this and this, mainly because of their size and ease of attaching to handlebars, etc.

Thanks again all
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom