Any Thoughts On This

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Just wondered if it would affect the appeal since I am renovating it to make it look new again.

midlife

Guru
It's what appeals to you. I have a pink Falcon in the garage (in bits) but it should have left the factory in blue.....

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Fairly sure it's French. Two things to beware of:

1. Those stems snap. Don't use them.

2. It probably has French threading and a French stem size. Replacement components are harder to find.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Fairly sure it's French. Two things to beware of:

1. Those stems snap. Don't use them.

2. It probably has French threading and a French stem size. Replacement components are harder to find.
Thanks. Is it best to put a new stem on??

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes. It may be French diameter, which is 22.0mm. You can reduce a normal alloy 22.2mm stem to 22.0mm with abrasive paper as the difference is so small. Mask off above the min insert line, and it will look factory.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Zenith from VeloSolo are good quality. Or PlanetX sometimes have the Nitto NY-3 at under £20.

Do check the bar diameter if you're keeping them. It may be 25.0mm, which will need shimming to fit a 25.4mm stem. Two thicknesses of Coke can should be right. Cut them neatly to the width of the stem clamp and just fractionally less than the circumference (25 x pi). The shims will be invisible when fitted. I doubt you'll find a commercial shim for 25.4 to 25.0.

Top Bottom