Any tips for removing a sheared bolt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My kickstand snapped yesterday and I have ordered the replacement, however upon removing the old, broken stand, both bolts sheared in their holes and are now stack fast and I'm unable to remove them. I have tried gentle tapping, a lot of swearing and WD40 all to no avail - I wondered if anyone has had similar and managed to sort it.

HovR

Über Member
Is it one of the kick stands that uses a bolt to clamp two metal plates over the chain stays at their narrowest point? If so, you could always drill the sheared bolts off.

sidevalve

Über Member
Will you not still have to drill into the bolts to get the extractor in ?
Be carefull not to break off the extractor, they are [or should be ] hardened steel and then you'll REALLY have a problem.

Will you not still have to drill into the bolts to get the extractor in ?
Be carefull not to break off the extractor, they are [or should be ] hardened steel and then you'll REALLY have a problem.

Yes you do but with a drill much smaller than the bolt diameter which is very different from trying to drill the bolt itself out.

When you say 'both bolts' .... Aren't them there kick stands attached with just one large bolt? (8mm allen or 13/14mm hex). And why the hell are you shearing bolts?? Bolts shouldn't fail. If, for example, the bolts have corroded in place through lack of grease and/or exposure to salt - and the head sheared off as a result - no amount of huffing and puffing with an extractor will remove them. You'll have to drill them out. Not an easy task.

What's your frame made of?

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It's a steel frame and this stand sits at the 'back' of the frame close to where the cassette is although on the other side and two bolts into the frame secure it. Not sure why they sheared, I guess thyd been there for years and like their owner, gotten rather old and knackered!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
My kickstand snapped yesterday and I have ordered the replacement, however upon removing the old, broken stand, both bolts sheared in their holes and are now stack fast and I'm unable to remove them. I have tried gentle tapping, a lot of swearing and WD40 all to no avail - I wondered if anyone has had similar and managed to sort it.

AFAIK the type of kickstand you are talking about bolts onto a mounting bracket brazed onto the chainstay like pic below? Presumably since the bolt heads have sheared the kickstand is now off? If not I would destroy kickstand to expose as much broken bolts stuck to the mounting bracket as possible, then I would soak threads with penetrating oil for a day or two, file flat surfaces above and below exposed bolts to give a pair of pliers purchase to loosen bolts.

That is assuming the bolts did not shear at/inside the mounting bracket.

ImageHandler.ashx.jpe

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
AFAIK the type of kickstand you are talking about bolts onto a mounting bracket brazed onto the chainstay like pic below? Presumably since the bolt heads have sheared the kickstand is now off? If not I would destroy kickstand to expose as much broken bolts stuck to the mounting bracket as possible, then I would soak threads with penetrating oil for a day or two, file flat surfaces above and below exposed bolts to give a pair of pliers purchase to loosen bolts.

That is assuming the bolts did not shear at/inside the mounting bracket.

Yep that's similar to my stand. The kickstand is off (it had snapped in two). Will give the oil thing a try combined with the screw extractors. I'm bound to cock it up that's for sure!

Top Bottom