any tips on removing a crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
right iv found a replacement crank ,,anybody got a crank removal tool i can use in glasgow ,,il bring the bike over ,,iv bought a tool off ebay and obv its gona take a few days but ,,i was wanting to use the bike as of monday for getting to work,,so if i got it off i could fit the part as soon as :wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i need to take my crank arm off to fix /replace it ,,its a shimano deore triple on a square bb ,,iv took the nut off and its stuck solid ,,iv gave it a few taps but im scared of damaging it prop ,,any ideas peeps

loosen the two bolts, but only a tad so they're not tight but still in place (leaving a little room for play), ride your bike around the block a few times until the cranks come loose, then push the bike home :thumbsup:

I can never find my extraction tool when i want it and often end up doing this.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
loosen the two bolts, but only a tad so they're not tight but still in place (leaving a little room for play), ride your bike around the block a few times until the cranks come loose, then push the bike home :thumbsup:

I can never find my extraction tool when i want it and often end up doing this.

thing is ..the pedal cant even be attached to the crannk at all ,,if i could rode it round the block i could ride it to work :rolleyes:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
thing is ..the pedal cant even be attached to the crannk at all ,,if i could rode it round the block i could ride it to work :rolleyes:

ah right... best bet is wait for the tool then. Make sure you don't cross thread when screwing the tool into the crank as the metal on the crank is very soft in comparison to the tool, so put it in by hand rather than with a spanner. If it's tight, clean the threads on the crank and try again. (apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs)

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
no your not :thumbsup: ,,no worries ,,all good advice ,,iv never tried b4 but it should b fairly straightforward

Top Bottom