Anybody got any experience of....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Buying car tyres on the internet ?

Only place I've found with the tyres I want is mytyres.co.uk

Anybody used them ?

Funny isnt it? For bike tyres I would happily buy from the interweb - for car tyres I'm hesitant, but none of my local tyre depots can get the tyres I want on this occasion.

Blackcircles.com gets good reviews too.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays uses Blackcircle... and is very happy with them... orders the tires he wants and then gets them fitted locally.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I use ETyres and have found them to be fine. You order and buy on line and state where you want the tyres to be changed and the van turns up at the appointed time and does it.

The only snag, and it isn't their fault, is if you only have a puncture. I had a puncture near the edge of my tread that I was told at one tyre place that they wouldn't fix it as it was too close to the edge of the tread. The chap who came said it was repairable and showed me the chart to show how far from the middle of the tyre a repair can be. He repaired it for me but I still had to buy the replacement tyre I had ordered. He also didn't charge me for the repair which was nice.

yello

I've used them for motorcycle tyres in France. I couldn't get the ones I wanted locally so ordered them over t'web for delivery to a local garage for fitting. No problems, the local shop charge a fitting fee so are quite happy too.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thanks all for your responses - unfortunately neither Blackcircles nor Etyres list what I need which is a winter specific tyre 215/60 R16 99H

Unfortunately there are only 2 cars on the road that use this size:
Citroen & Toyota people carriers, and not all models of those either; so its a pretty rare size - even for regular tyres, winter specific jobs are rarer than rocking horse droppings.

Mr Pig

I know people who've bought tyres on the net and it worked fine. Considering the small amount saved I'd rather buy from a local fitter though in case of any issues, like them not being balanced right.

marooncat

I have got them the last few times on line (and it might have been mytyres last time as that name rings a bell) and had no problems.

Most times the fitter came to be but the last time I had to take them into a garage (included in the cost) as none of the mobile fitters could balance the wheels on my car (it is a peugeot and there is something strange about how they are balanced). I was speaking to the owner of the garage and he was saying he likes getting the fitting from the website as he feels that 9 times out of 10 he is getting a customer he would not have otherwise had.

Dave5N

Über Member
But you can't get quicker than a kwik fit fitter.

(sorry, already got me coat and halfway out the door)

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
You can't get more of a tosser than my local kwik-fitter. He's one of the most arrogant and unpleasant people I've ever had the misfortune to speak to, I can't understand anyone buying anything from him.

Anyway I bought the tyres from mytyres.co.uk and they turned up very quickly (about a week sooner than promised) so well impressed with that.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What I love about KwikFit is the KeenPricing - like when I went in to get a (hardly exotic) battery for my 12 year old Golf estate and spent the five minutes waiting for them to bring it out looking at the 'Batteries from £24.95' signs before handing over the £75 they charged me.

Top Bottom