Anyone cycled the route from the new "France en vélo" book?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
Looks like a great route - St. Malo to Nice; 1,00 miles - my reason for posting is that I plan to do it in August so if anyone has already done it could you let me know your thoughts?

Also, If anyone is going to do it in August, let me know, we could meet up and exchange notes.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks, just ordered the book as I am planning a similar ride with friends. My route is slightly different, but would be good to compare and see if this is better in places and perhaps combine them.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I rode part of it last week - St Malo to Les Eyzies - before heading off to Bordeaux. Overall the route is very good and the directions are so good it's almost unbelievable. I followed the directions all the way to Les Eyzies and didn't need to consult a map once, which is quite an achievement on behalf of the authors. For example one direction was "turn on to the D913 but it will be signed D 1 because the 9 and 3 have fallen off" - that's true!!! There are a few points where a new roundabout has been built so use some commonsense as well.

I had difficulty getting out of St Malo and couldn't say if that was the directions or me - more likely me as it was the first day. All you have to do is keep the sea on your left and eventually you pick up signs for Cancale which will get you on the route in the town. I did go wrong on a couple of occasions but this was my fault - see below.

My strategy for using the book was to note each direction for each section in a small note book which I kept in my shirt pocket. I ran my Garmin to record the ride and calibrated this in miles and had a cycle computer calibrated in kms. I used the cycle computer to judge the distance between directions so if the direction was "4km out of xxx watch for a left turn" I had a good idea of when the turn was coming up. I then whipped out the note book and glanced at the next direction while still riding. The ONLY times I went wrong - and you get a gut feel before it happens - were the two occasions when I missed out a turn in my written notes which was given in the book. Both times I sensed something was wrong and stopped to consult the book before continuing.

Overall the route is excellent though there are two horrible sections on the part I rode. Segre to St Georges-sur-Loire on the D961 - this is dead straight for 20km, quite fast traffic and boring as can be. The other REALLY tedious bit is Fountevraud-l'Abbaye to Loudon which once you hit the main road is 22km straight with one blissful climb to break the monotony, after this there are more very long, boring straights en route to Parthenay. At the end of this day I was cursing the authors, the Romans, the French, myself, everyone and everything. I found these long straight roads mentally exhausting as you can see the next village 10-12kms ahead and never seem to get there!

The tough bits above are more than compensated for by some glorious riding which truly made me well-up emotionally at times. It was just fantastic in places. The Loire stretch and Val de Vienne especially so.

Overall there is more climbing than I had anticipated but I found nothing that couldn't be tackled with a nice steady climbing rhythm.

if you camp I guess anywhere will do. If you want accommodation I suggest researching this carefully. I literally slept in a hedge one night as there were no rooms to be had in Parthenay. The recommended hotel in Hautefort is closed but fortunately there is a brand new Travelodge style hotel (Euro 55) about 4 km away in St Agnan as there is very little else for a long way. I would definetley book accommodation ahead in the morning or the previous evening. If wanted I can post the details of the places I stayed.

Some of the riding is very rural and you will need to carry the basic spares. I strongly suggest carrying at least three litres of water all the time and replenish at every opportunity. Also be sure you are carrying enough to eat with one spare meal, i.e. if you've eaten lunch be sure to have your evening meal with you in case you get really stuck and can't find a shop.

Anything else just ask. If the whole route is as good as the part I rode you will have a great journey. DO IT!!

The book is advertised in places as coming with GPX files but I couldn't find anywhere that actually had these. I've now got them as far as Les Eyzies. This toute is the one Saddle Skedaddle advertise. There main trip is 16 days with I think two rest days. Based on my experience to La Dordogne area I think I could ride it in 13-14 days.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Bought the book after reading this thread. Looks like a strong contender for next year. Like Doog, a gpx route would be v welcome if one exists.

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks for the info, sounds like you had a great time. will you complete the rest of it? (as for straight roads, try cycling across Kansas!) Read the book now, enjoyed it. Looks easy to use. Nice to have some feedback. :smile:

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
I did do the route but cut out of couple of chunks of regions so I didn't do the whole 1,000 miles.

My route was St. Malo to Saumur. Then a train to Souillhac. Souillhac to Nice (with a couple of mini train detours, too.) I completed about 670 miles in 18 days, including my own personal achievement of cycling Mont Ventoux. I will post my diary later.

I agree with Paul SB about the intricacy of the directions. He was clever enough to make notes, I wasn't, which meant I frequently kept having to stop and take the book (it's quite bulky) out of my panniers to read - if you miss a description you don't realise until after. That said it is a great book, I'm not saying it isn't.

I also agree about there being some very, long and straight roads, too, the D961 to Challenges-sur-Loire springs to mind. There were many highlights including the Gorge du Verdon and some great climbs.

Ned Ned

Looks like a great route - St. Malo to Nice; 1,00 miles - my reason for posting is that I plan to do it in August so if anyone has already done it could you let me know your thoughts?

Also, If anyone is going to do it in August, let me know, we could meet up and exchange notes.

Thanks.

Hi all - Ive bought the book and am planning on cycling it this summer. just wondering if anyone had the gpx file of the route?

mikey951r

Veteran
Hi all,

I cycled LEJOG earlier in the year and have a few weeks off at the end of September/start of October and fancy giving this route a go. I've already bought the book and think it looks very interesting. I researched the transport options and have plumped for a train from Newark on Trent to Portsmouth then the ferry over to St Malo and back by SNCF train to Paris and the Eurostar. I can do the whole travel bit for less than £300, which gets my vote, but I haven't booked yet. I usually camp and during LEJOG mixed campsites with a bit of wild camping and one night in a hotel. I'm looking at leaving on Sat 26th or Sun 27th September and taking 2 weeks or so with a few days on the Med coast at the end and definately back in the UK by Sat 17th October. Does anyone have anything to offer by way of advice especially regarding the timing. In my opinion with a bit of luck I sdhould get under way before any bad Autmn weather and should enjoy following Autmn through France and it should still be hot enough in Nice to warm my bones before I return home to mist and dark nights. Am I being too optimistic?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Can't you plot a GPX using the directions from the book?

Yes that would work but I think you'd need 2-3 maps as well while plotting. I bought a touring map and all the roads in the book are on a map designed for basic car touring.

If anyone wants them I have GPX as far as Les Eyzies. I'll dig them out later. They may not be comprehensive as my Garmin is poor and I'm not good with it!!!!

Top Bottom