Anyone do the Fred Witton today? (pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SS Retro

Did anyone do Britain hardest sportive today ?

I was halfway up Hardknott Pass supporting and giving the odd push (guy in molteni top). Much better weather than last year felt for the guy pushing with his chain in his hand, best sight of the day 5 tandems attempting it, well done all that did here's a few pics.

Looking up to the 1in4 ramps

photo_5.jpg

To much energy.

photo_13.jpg

Hot brews and bottles of High 5 for the Lakes Road Club guys.
photo_31.jpg

photo_2.jpg

They keep coming, last rider we saw on Hardknott was at around 4pm
photo_42.jpg

photo_41.jpg

My 1 year old daughter providing support for the "biiiikkkeeeeeees" .
photo_1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

Just got a txt from my buddy the guy stopped in red jacket he got in at 4 he was held up on Wrynose Pass as there was a big crash and the air ambulance had to land on the road!

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
I was at the finish yesterday. It was my first experience of the Fred and loved it! Glad to hear the guy airlifted from Honister was ok but the guy lifted from Wrynose sounds worse. The organisation was fantastic and this spirit of the riders was fab!! I was really suprised at how well the riders looked at the end lol. I will definitely be back next year whether as a supporter or a marshall (think as a rider may be pushing it lol)
Great pics SSRetro!

Yeh done this yesterday. In a word: BRUTAL!

Most of the climbs would be a challenge in their own right but collectively they are an absolute pig. Honister is downright nasty but you are still quite fresh at this point. It is just a grind from then to Hardknott. I had the rawhide tune going through my head for about 30 miles "rolling rolling rolling".

Right Hardknott, after 95 miles - borderline torture! I had a compact with a 27 on the back and it was a challenge to keep the bike upright. So many people were walking at this point but i managed to the top without that ever being a possibility. The chimp in my head defo chimed in with a few "you know, you could just get off for a breather you know". Wee bugger! There were plenty of silly descents (in the wet!) too but Hardknott and Honister were two of the worst. Hardknott probably because of the condition of the riders by the time they reach the descent. Think i averaged 13-14mph down it which gives an indication of the mindset there. Super steep!

Wrynose is not that bad a climb but it is steep in sections and is a complete mind f*ck as you are quite convinced that after Hardknott life will be relatively simple. Not so. Another grind. After the descent it is quite rolling and is by no means flat, yet another grind. By the finish the legs, and arms, and everything else, hurt like buggery! I've never had a sore back on the bike either but Hardknott, bent over to keep the front wheel down, sorted that for me. Bloody throbbing! No wonder some people have to walk.

Anyway, official time was 7 hours 24 mins which puts me in first class. It puts the "elite" riders either on a scooter or on EPO!!! It puts me in the top 10-12% or so which i am very happy about having not ridden any of the course before BUT, some guys were putting out times of just over 6 hours which is insane!

Some thoughts during and after the event:

1) A compact, a medium cage and a 32 tooth cassette will be the minimum requirement should i ever return.
2) Sweet Moses use the feed stops!!! Ran out of water with 15 miles to the next station and about 70 miles in.
3) Don't try this on a mountain bike, like several people i spotted were keen to do.
4) People need to REALLY take care on the descents. Way too many were throwing caution to the wind and flying down, in the wet! Not clever. The result was quite a few crashes and it also puts others at risk.
5) The guy that passed me at the bottom of Hardknott descent over the cattle grid came down super hard. Hope he's okay. Sounded horrible. Possibly airlifted.
6) The guy i passed a mile or so after Hardknott - he was throwing up everything he had eaten for the day and some of it was even dangling from his nose! You have my sympathies. It wasn't pleasant.
7) Doing this event once is more than enough! Probably see you there next year.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

I was really suprised at how well the riders looked at the end lol.
Don't know about that some of the sights on Hardknott were not well, but your right the spirit was good the guys who received pushes were soooooooooo great-full mind after running with a tandem I think I was puffing more! :wacko:

Waspie

Über Member
7:24 is a great time on an absolutely brutal route. Did it in 2012 then missed out in the ballot on 2013 - can't really say I was too upset! Can't remember what my excuse was for this year.

Yeh done this yesterday. In a word: BRUTAL!

Most of the climbs would be a challenge in their own right but collectively they are an absolute pig. Honister is downright nasty but you are still quite fresh at this point. It is just a grind from then to Hardknott. I had the rawhide tune going through my head for about 30 miles "rolling rolling rolling".

Right Hardknott, after 95 miles - borderline torture! I had a compact with a 27 on the back and it was a challenge to keep the bike upright. So many people were walking at this point but i managed to the top without that ever being a possibility. The chimp in my head defo chimed in with a few "you know, you could just get off for a breather you know". Wee bugger! There were plenty of silly descents (in the wet!) too but Hardknott and Honister were two of the worst. Hardknott probably because of the condition of the riders by the time they reach the descent. Think i averaged 13-14mph down it which gives an indication of the mindset there. Super steep!

Wrynose is not that bad a climb but it is steep in sections and is a complete mind f*ck as you are quite convinced that after Hardknott life will be relatively simple. Not so. Another grind. After the descent it is quite rolling and is by no means flat, yet another grind. By the finish the legs, and arms, and everything else, hurt like buggery! I've never had a sore back on the bike either but Hardknott, bent over to keep the front wheel down, sorted that for me. Bloody throbbing! No wonder some people have to walk.

Anyway, official time was 7 hours 24 mins which puts me in first class. It puts the "elite" riders either on a scooter or on EPO!!! It puts me in the top 10-12% or so which i am very happy about having not ridden any of the course before BUT, some guys were putting out times of just over 6 hours which is insane!

Some thoughts during and after the event:

1) A compact, a medium cage and a 32 tooth cassette will be the minimum requirement should i ever return.
2) Sweet Moses use the feed stops!!! Ran out of water with 15 miles to the next station and about 70 miles in.
3) Don't try this on a mountain bike, like several people i spotted were keen to do.
4) People need to REALLY take care on the descents. Way too many were throwing caution to the wind and flying down, in the wet! Not clever. The result was quite a few crashes and it also puts others at risk.
5) The guy that passed me at the bottom of Hardknott descent over the cattle grid came down super hard. Hope he's okay. Sounded horrible. Possibly airlifted.
6) The guy i passed a mile or so after Hardknott - he was throwing up everything he had eaten for the day and some of it was even dangling from his nose! You have my sympathies. It wasn't pleasant.
7) Doing this event once is more than enough! Probably see you there next year.
you sure know how to sell a thing Pedro... braw effort.

you sure know how to sell a thing Pedro... braw effort.
Cheers Mate.

Time heals though it would appear as i am really up for doing it next year now! :wacko:

I will be putting a medium cage and 32 tooth cassette on though. As all the bloody, and annoying at the time, signs said "spin to win!".

edindave

Über Member
Great report Pedro, and congrats on a superb performance.
Dying to do this one, although I think I'll go for the 4-seasons option and cherry-pick a weather slot to suit.
Chapeau to you and all the rest who took part yesterday.

Great report Pedro, and congrats on a superb performance.
Dying to do this one, although I think I'll go for the 4-seasons option and cherry-pick a weather slot to suit.
Chapeau to you and all the rest who took part yesterday.
Have to admit i am dying to do it again with the right setup and newly obtained route knowledge. Every slight rise had me thinking "i wonder if this is one of the climbs?". :blush:

I can tell you there was no doubt as i turned right onto Honister. Holy sh*t that first section is steep!

Top Bottom