Anyone else from Bingley/Wilsden area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lubyloo

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to cycling. Going to be picking up my first road bike today and I can't wait. I think I am going to go for the Trek 1.2 as a starter and see how I get on with it. :biggrin:

Anyway, the real reason for this post is I live in Wilsden (nr Bradford West Yorkshire) which is quite hilly :eek: but I am keen to get out there and build up my fitness with the view to joining a cycling club in the area.
Is anyone else from around the area and know any good cycling routes and clubs that do regular social rides out and about?

Try posting in beginners, or in the CC cafe: you're more likely to have a better response due to a wider reading 'audience'!

Welcome to the forum, btw! :evil:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi lubyloo - welcome to the forum.

I'm just over the hill from you in Hebden Bridge. I know lots and lots of nice routes in this area - if you like hills that is. If you don't like hills round here then you're in trouble, especially living where you do where every ride will end in a steepish climb to get home...:biggrin:!

Am I right in thinking that you are female? It just so happens that I have a female cycling friend who lives in your village and she regularly goes riding (on road and off) with groups of other women. Perhaps I could put you in touch with her?

I'd be quite happy to work out some routes for you if you tell me how fit you are and what sort of distance you'd like to do. I quite often ride through local villages such as Oxenhope, Denholme, Haworth, and Oakworth. I've ridden through Cullingworth and Harden, though I've never actually been to Wilsden because it isn't on the way to anywhere else I'd like to go.

If you'd like to join me for one of my local loops you'd be welcome to - just let me know.

It's a great area to cycle in - enjoy yourself!
ColinJ

OP
OP
L

lubyloo

Hi ColinJ - yep you are correct I'm female and if you could put me in touch with your friend that also lives in the village that would be great - providing of course she is OK with an extra person joining a ride :-)
Went out this afternoon for a test run on the new bike. My fitness is OK though I have lost a lot of having given up the running a year ago. Still got round the 10mile route and felt good at the end of it despite the hills.
Found a website that lets you plot the route you took which how many miles covered. Other people have saved routes around the area so there are a few there for me to get on with.
Thx for the offer to join you on one of your local loops - once I am a bit more confident I may well take you up on the offer.

Dayvo - thx for the advice. There are so many categories I wasn't sure which one was best but I will try posting something in beginners.

Cheers

ColinJ

lubyloo said:
Hi ColinJ - yep you are correct I'm female and if you could put me in touch with your friend that also lives in the village that would be great - providing of course she is OK with an extra person joining a ride :-)
I've emailed my pal to ask for permission to give you her details.

Here's a map of a loop I've plotted for you. It's 30 km (about 19 miles) and a bit 'lumpy' but there's only a short stretch of A-road on it (near Denholme) and there are some great views. I reckon it would be best done clockwise, but there's nothing to stop you doing it in the opposite direction. It's amazing how different rides can seem when you do them the other way round.

wilsden_loop.jpg

OP
OP
L

lubyloo

Thx - looks good.

Funnily enough I actually did a section of the route you have plotted this evening before seeing your post. Will give the full version a shot over the weekend.

BTW what did you use to plot the route on?

Cheers

ColinJ

lubyloo said:
Thx - looks good.

Funnily enough I actually did a section of the route you have plotted this evening before seeing your post. Will give the full version a shot over the weekend.

BTW what did you use to plot the route on?

Cheers
I used Memory Map software. I bought the version which does the whole country as one large seamless map. If you are only interested in the North of England, the version I linked to is the cheapest. I hope to ride further afield from time to time so I paid more and bought the UK version.

I upload new routes to a GPS unit which I mount on my handlebars. It makes navigation really straightforward so getting lost is a thing of the past!

Anticpating your next question... :biggrin: The GPS I bought was the bottom of the range Garmin Etrex. You'd also need a handlebar mount, rechargeable AA batteries and charger, a serial cable and if your computer doesn't have a serial port, a serial-to-USB converter. Total for that lot would be £100-£120.

You can print out maps showing your routes if you don't want to get a GPS. I'd recommend that anyway just in case the GPS packed up when you were miles from anywhere. Mine has been totally reliable, but better safe than sorry!

Top Bottom