Anyone from Brighton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
Have asked my folks for more details about Great Aunt Tessie. My mother, who said Tessie Reynolds was her godmother as well as her aunt, confirmed that Tessie Reynolds father did indeed own a cycle shop at 25 Bristol Road, Brighton. He had previously been in the army and then a PE instructor to the Brighton Police. He apparantly encouraged sporting activities in all his eleven children of whom Tessie was the oldest. He taught them fencing and boxing as well as encouraging their cycling. Later, Tessie married and moved to Barnett where she was a road safety Officer. She outlived three children and died, I think sometime in the early 1950s.

Thanks John. I was aware of the bike shop and that her father was also an athletics coach so assumed part of the reason behind the ride was publicity!

You don't by any chance have her married name? It will save me some research time!

I'm new to Cycle Chat but thought you may be interested that I am Tessie Reynolds' great niece; the sister of johnoc who has already posted much about our Great Aunt on previous blogs. Though not a cyclist myself I have a son, Dave who manages a cycle shop in London; so has followed in the family tradition. Great Aunt Tessie would have been proud of him especially as he is dying to recreate her ride to London and back.

Top Bottom