Anyone got advice on selling a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
karan733

karan733

HeyWayne said:
Be realistic, honest and truthful

Think about what you'd look for when buying a car, and that's generally what people 'out there' will be looking for.

I've sold my last three cars via Autotrader, and they've all gone to the first viewer.

Do a bit of research and see what cars the same kind of age/spec/mileage are going for. If there's a car that's been there for weeks and week, it's either overpriced or there's something that the buyers are picking up that isn't shown in the advert.

Pistonheads allows you to post the car for free (or they did when I was selling), but Autotrader's by far the more popular choice for your average motorist.

Do no, I repeat, do not be tempted by the webuyanycar bunch of pirates.

Price it a few hundred quid higher than you actually want to sell it - people love to barter and think they're getting a good deal.

Clean the car - we're not talking concourse, but a dirty car looks like an unloved car.

As has been mentioned - service history rules. It shows the car has been well maintained.

Aside from all that, I can help singing this song now, cheers:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT90JV-GGe8

HeyWayne said:
If it's an estate, by brother-in-law might have a couple of months ago.

No thanks ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
HeyWayne said:
If it's an estate

If it's in a state... ;)

thomas

the tank engine
HLaB said:
karan, I don't know if they are any, good and judging from their annoying advert they're not but it might be worth getting a quote of http://www.webuyanycar.com/

You beat me too it :tongue:

My Dad got a really good quote for his Honda Accord, enough that if he was to sell it he couldn't get much more private and probably no more in part-ex....definitely worth a try

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
thomas said:
You beat me too it :tongue:

My Dad got a really good quote for his Honda Accord, enough that if he was to sell it he couldn't get much more private and probably no more in part-ex....definitely worth a try

They are sharks

They will give you a good price on the phone however when you drop into one of their authorised places to check the car over they will offer you 30 / 40 % less. They are hoping that as you are already there you will accept their rate and will give you some cock and bull story of how you won't get a better rate anywhere else.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
webuyanycar will give you the standard dealer trade in price at best. It can't work any other way or they wouldn't make a profit on the resale.

OK if you need to get rid in a hurry, but you'll lose money compared to a private sale.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
They also gave me a reasonable quote for a rusting pile of unsaleable motor which I simply couldn't wait to get rid of... though in the end a dealer took it part ex for more or less the same.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Karan - which TDCI is it?

That makes a lot of difference to the price! There's 1.6, 2.0, 2.2 and 2.5. And even then, the power output varies within each engine size - e.g. I have the 2.0 130bhp TDCI, and there are 90 and 115bhp versions. The 2.2 iis about 180bhp (I think) and the 2.5 is a beast - 220bhp! Nice! There's even a 3.0 - Super-beast!! No idea what the bhp of the 1.6 models are, they're not fast enough to care about :laugh:

Anyway, I digress ... you need that info about your car.

Crankarm

Guru
In any ad be sure to include, "NO CANVASSERS!!!"

2nd hand Mondeos sell quickly if they are in good condition. A friend of mine who sold his a couple of years ago was deluged with people wanting to buy it. He sold it the same morning he advertised it for his asking price which wasn't too low. He then had people offering more than he had sold it for. Mad isn't it. But be sure to write NO CANVASSERS on any ad. Make sure you give your car a wash and polish, and clean it inside. You'd be surprised how many don't bother, crisp packets, drinks cartons and ash and fag packets everywhere. Good luck.

OP
OP
karan733

karan733

XmisterIS said:
Karan - which TDCI is it?

That makes a lot of difference to the price! There's 1.6, 2.0, 2.2 and 2.5. And even then, the power output varies within each engine size - e.g. I have the 2.0 130bhp TDCI, and there are 90 and 115bhp versions. The 2.2 iis about 180bhp (I think) and the 2.5 is a beast - 220bhp! Nice! There's even a 3.0 - Super-beast!! No idea what the bhp of the 1.6 models are, they're not fast enough to care about :thumbsup:

Anyway, I digress ... you need that info about your car.

Its a 2.0, which for the weight of car is just short of being right. Having said that, I bought it for the mpg's and it sure ticks that box :biggrin:

hi, i've skipped to the bottom of the page so some of this might have been said.

if you're listing it in more than one place (especially if one of those places is ebay) then say that it is advertised elsewhere.

wash it, clean it and get a good photo of it with the sun behind you, this will show the car properly and not leave shadow that looks like bad repair work

mention how much tax and MOT is left

mention any problems there are with it, eg if there is a crack in the bumper point it out in the middle of the text you write about it

keep to the point when writing about it

any modifications, including fitting a tow bar? mention them, say who fitted it and if a tow bar, say if its only towed a small trailer or caravan (if caravan say how good it is at doing the job)

on the day you have someone coming to look at it top up the windscreen washer bottle and check the oil

take it for a short run early in the day and make sure it's not been driven for a few hours before the buyer comes.

this is because a good trick with a car that has trouble starting is to get it running just before the buyer comes so that it's engine is warm to aid starting - a knowledgeable buyer will wait for the engine to cool before they try and start it.j

a cold engine appears honest (but running it earlier in the day will have it act normally if it's been sat a while)

check their insurance covers them to drive it - most people's insurance will legally cover them third party, but if they crash your car, you'll not get money from insurance.

get driver details incase they collect a speeding ticket?

4F said:
They are sharks

They will give you a good price on the phone however when you drop into one of their authorised places to check the car over they will offer you 30 / 40 % less. They are hoping that as you are already there you will accept their rate and will give you some cock and bull story of how you won't get a better rate anywhere else.

yup,

i doubled the price they offered me just by ringing a scrap yard

i got to claim the VED back too (they insist on keeping it and they also charge an admin fee)

Top Bottom