Anyone have a pacemaker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I just wanted to find out how it affects or doesn't affect your activities.
My cousin has just gone into hospital to have one fitted so I wanted to reassure her it wasn't the end of the world for her day to day life.
Thanks.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve had a pacemaker for 9 years and the pacemaker itself does not affect activities other than staying away from strong magnetic fields and avoiding activities that might result in a blow to the pacemaker. Of course the heart condition being managed by the pacemaker might affect activities. A very useful forum I sometimes visit is
https://www.pacemakerclub.com/

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My eldest son had a couple of pacemakers for some years. In succession I should add not both together.
They gave hime no problems in his normal day to day life as a college lecturer.
He did died 6 years ago but he had other complications due probably to overdosage of radiation in his teens. They did the best they could then but the system was not sufficiently refined I think.

Had one fitted two years ago and do not notice it affecting mylife at all, except when I wash around that area and can feel this lump of metal just under my skin.

I still cycle regularly, just as often and as far as previously but I do have some problems when riding up very steep hills. I hope this can be rectified fairly simply by upping the top rate at which my heart beats, but have to speak to the cardiologist first.

Oh, and I can't go through the security scanner gates at airports.

Sharky

Guru
My uncle had one for a number of years. Very independent and quite fit until the last year or so. He lived until he was 95.

There is a funny/sad story to tell. When he was approaching 90, he wanted to celibrate by having all us nephews and our families up for a do at the "Stanley", a pub near Eccleston. He organised everything himself, booked B&B's for those traveling a long way. Then on the morning, we got a call to say he had become I'll and rushed into Whiston Hospital. Turned out his meds had caused a problem. But he was insistant that everybody should still go to the celebration, which we all did. He recovered and lived for another 5 years. Even went back into hospital to have new batteries put into his pacemaker.

But sad he missed his own 90th do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
She has now had the op and is ready to go home. Bit of pain but generally in good spirits. This is in Sheffield and she reports the care is first class.
Thanks for all your input , I'll pass it along to her. She is seventy five very active and independent.

Top Bottom