Anyone in the leeds area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajh

After crashing my mtb and smashing up both wrists it has become too uncomfortable for me to ride regular bikes so I am thinking of getting a recumbent for road and some gentle off-road touring. I was thinking of the Optima Orca?

This may seem a bit cheeky but is there anyone in the leeds area who would be willing to let me have a quick spin on their (any) recumbent just to get an idea of what they are like before I take the plunge as all the dealers are miles away?!

This would be a massive help in making up my mind!!

Fiona N

Veteran
Are you in a desperate hurry? I ask as i'm in Kendal and often pop down to Skipton/Keighley are for a mini-tour. Obviously with the roads/weather as they are at present I'll be putting this off until more clement weather (or at least more clement roads) in, say, February.
I should add I've got a HPVelotechnik Speedmachine (with USS) which I've used quite a bit for touring in the UK and Europe including, as you mentioned, a little light off-road (i.e. forest tracks and the like, not technical stuff) as my back's been a problem for a few years. It's a very fast and fun machine but flexible for a range of roles. I'm vaguely thinking of selling it (to fund a new carbon or Ti road bike) as I have a much more loved Windcheetah that is rather more convenient for touring in Europe if I use the European Bike Express (they seem to hate 2 wheel recumbents as they don't fit the racks, whereas a trike can just be anchored as it's self-supporting). You'd be welcome to try either but for the Windcheetah you'd need to have similar length legs to me (inside leg 30") as it's cut to size whereas the Speedmachine is adjustable to a much greater degree.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Not Leeds, but York-ish. PM me if you're still interested, ajh. I have a Bentech:
bentech.jpg

I seem to recall that Get Cycling are selling an Optima Orca on Ebay just now - but hurry. They're York-ish too.

Fiona - I've been hankering after a Speedmachine for a while. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

tinyworld

Über Member
Hi ajh
I live in Leeds and you are welcome to come along and try out my ICE bikes one is set up for road the other for offroad
Kevin

gadgetmind

I'm also in Leeds (Weetwood/Headingley) and you're more than welcome to try my Hp VeloTechnik Spirit. I ride upright (folder) and now recumbent so feel I can be honest regards pros and cons.
Ian

gadgetmind

Oh, and I regularly go riding with the guy that bought that Optima Dragon on ebay - I think trying to keep up with my recumbent was part of his decision making process. :-)
Ian

Top Bottom