Anyone live in Gillingham, Whitstable area?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am off cycling for a few days on Friday 3 September till Monday 6th. The plan is to drive to around the Gillingham/Whitstable area and do a 4 day tour of Kent and East Sussex. I am meeting a mate who is coming by train from Norwich.

The plan is to leave my car somewhere secure (street is fine, drive even better, garage perfect!). I would prefer not to choose a completely random street. Anyone got any good ideas, or drive space?

Jay

Arch

Married to Night Train
When a mate and I were heading to France this summer we needed somewhere to leave a car for two weeks, while we cycled onto the ferry at Portsmouth. Another friend recommended a campsite (belongng to the Camping and Caravanning Club) just north of Portsmouth, and the owner let us park the car there, and wanted only a tenner (we gave him twenty in the end - it would have been a couple of hundred at the ferry terminal car park). The site was basically just a field, in the middle of nowhere, with a few campervans in residence.

If you can't find a suitable freebie, perhaps see if there's a similar campsite nearby? We were not club members, BTW.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
When a mate and I were heading to France this summer we needed somewhere to leave a car for two weeks, while we cycled onto the ferry at Portsmouth. Another friend recommended a campsite (belongng to the Camping and Caravanning Club) just north of Portsmouth, and the owner let us park the car there, and wanted only a tenner (we gave him twenty in the end - it would have been a couple of hundred at the ferry terminal car park). The site was basically just a field, in the middle of nowhere, with a few campervans in residence.

If you can't find a suitable freebie, perhaps see if there's a similar campsite nearby? We were not club members, BTW.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
If you really can't find anywhere, it would be safe outside mine.
It's only street parking (well, layby, really) although I'm sure you'll get better offers.
My place is within easy cycling distance of Gillingham (if you really want to go there) and Whitstable.

andym

Über Member
I know you will hate me for saying this, but what about the train? Train to Waterloo, short ride to London Bridge and then off on the train. You could meet your friend at London Bridge. OK maybe sllghtly less convenient, but it has the advantage that you aren't tied to one finishing point.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
The problem is that we want to start around 9am. That means a train from Winchester at 0700. Peak commuting time when getting a bike on board (even if permitted which I am not sure) is a real hassle. Also panniers will not make it easier on the train. Plus the train will cost a lot more than the fuel!

I now have a choice of Panter who lives in Sittingbourne (ta Chris) or as of today a friend of a friend who lives in Gillingham....

Top Bottom