Anyone Play A Melodica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I showed my daughter a YouTube video of a track by one of my favourite bands, & now she wants a Melodica

In a way, I want to say "No", as she's already playing Cello & Piano, plus being a member of the local Cathedral Choir takes up most of her spare time
Then, of course, there's her homework to consider

This is a Melodica, the first instrument played/blown (with a secondary one, being played via an air-tube)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For gods sake don't let her hear a Hurdy-Gurdy she'll be blown away and they are mega-money.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My daughter tinkers with one. They are not particularly expensive when compared against decent flutes and cellos both of which she plays. It's a put-downable instrument and it does play second fiddle, pun intended, to the other two instruments.

They sound pretty awesome when miked up and played in a reggae band.

For gods sake don't let her hear a Hurdy-Gurdy she'll be blown away and they are mega-money.
Erm........................................

I did play her 'Gallows Pole',by Page & Plant :secret:(from Jool Holland 'Later')
Thankfully, she just thought it was weird

She did think the Drummer was like Animal, from The Muppets, with all his body movement

A work-collegue plays the Auto-Harp!! (& he's only in his 40s)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Erm........................................

I did play her 'Gallows Pole',by Page & Plant :secret:(from Jool Holland 'Later')
Thankfully, she just thought it was weird

She did think the Drummer was like Animal, from The Muppets, with all his body movement

A work-collegue plays the Auto-Harp!! (& he's only in his 40s)

Nice clip, isn't the drummer Jason Bonham and the Hurdy-gurdy is hardly audible.
Try listening to one half-cut and stoned in a bar at a folk club..... Very Medieval, bit like a Bassoon (to quote Frank a tube with a Doo-Dad poking out the side)

Nice clip, isn't the drummer Jason Bonham and the Hurdy-gurdy is hardly audible.
Try listening to one half-cut and stoned in a bar at a folk club..... Very Medieval, bit like a Bassoon (to quote Frank a tube with a Doo-Dad poking out the side)

I want a Mandolin

Plus, they're far cheaper than that Gretsch G6120 that I'd also like.................

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Absolutely.
[media]

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmML7bu-iM
[/media]

Chromatic

Legendary Member
They sound pretty awesome when miked up and played in a reggae band.

I really enjoyed some Augustus Pablo stuff when round a friends place and he insisted on subjecting me to his reggae mania on numerous occasions.

Edit: Good old Augustus plays a melodica. (that's not for your benefit @vernon, it's for those that didn't already know)

Last edited:
We've got a melodica. My dad could play it, along with an accordion or any other instrument you gave him and sing. He could also swim like a fish and make useful things from pieces of wood and solve crossword puzzles with ease. You'd think I'd inherit at least one of those traits but no, he kept them all.

Top Bottom